Seeking feedback on the Quintrex 420 Renegade

FTRAINED
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Seeking feedback on the Quintrex 420 Renegade

Post by FTRAINED »

Interested in hearing any feedback from FFF community regarding the Quintrex 420 Renegade.

What size motor, what type of fishing you do, how it handles a bit of chop, how many people in the boat and comfort, braked/non braked trailer yada yada yada. Appreciate any feedback.

STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Seeking feedback on the Quintrex 420 Renegade

Post by STOKESY77 »

I have a 460 Renegade side consol and can't fault it. I have had mine out in the blue from Vernon Islands & Tiwi's, Fenton Patches, Bynoe wide (Fish Reef, Bass Reef) I love the high sides and closed in transom and still good for crabbing up in the tight little creeks in just 40cm of water. 2 people is very comfortable but can easily take 3 anymore would be a bit squashy. It came with a 60hp Yammie 4st, I have had the boat 2.5 years now and it hasn't missed a beat :mrgreen: It is on a braked trailer (heavy duty alloy c-channel) Still as new
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Go the 60 hp on the 420 Renegade, the hull is quite heavy, if buying a new one, ask for sealed floors, braked trailer depends on the total weight of the rig, get it painted so it holds resale value :mrgreen: .
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

I would see if you can find a 460 under 2 years old of the simliar price - still new enough but much value for $ and better size boat.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Yep, go recent 2nd hand and a little bigger
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I have a 460 too mate and its been a great durable boat so far (2.5years). Taken her 60km offshore to Sail City, through some insane waves at Cape Ford (scary shiit!), and 15km up runoff creeks too narrow to turn around in. Versatile boat. Really good sized barra boat but still capable of some offshore stuff on the good days.

My only advice is get the MAXIMUM hp you can even if you have to get the hull re-rated to get more. Quintrex seem to love under-powering their hulls for some reason and up here in the NT you need the extra HP for the fishing we do here. Long runs and lots of weight, nothing like inshore fishing down south. The renegades may not be the prettiest boats out there but they are great when you are fishing in one.
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

My only advice is get the MAXIMUM hp you can even if you have to get the hull re-rated to get more. Quintrex seem to love under-powering their hulls for some reason and up here in the NT you need the extra HP for the fishing we do here. Long runs and lots of weight, nothing like inshore fishing down south. The renegades may not be the prettiest boats out there but they are great when you are fishing in one.[/quote]

x2 :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
keep it reel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by keep it reel »

I agree with what every one says, I have a 4.9 renegade and it is a great boat to fish with up creeks or on the flats or out wide the only problem i have had is the side console was only held down with 2 screws to the floor and came adrift in a bit of chop so put another couple of screws in and all good. I would recommend if buying new to not have the left side pocket welded on as this is in the way to make a rod locker, thinking of cutting mine off to do this.

I run a 80hp yammie on it and its great for long runs up rivers etc.
ozlad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ozlad »

Keep it reel - do you think the 4.9 could use a 100hp or are you happy enough with the 80hp?
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I have the 80hp on the 4.6m and its about right, rearely need to go WOT. Max speed Ive cracked is 67kmh when testing it out. I'd reckon 100hp would be awesome on the 4.9m. Not a big difference in the 80 and 100hp yammies.
FTRAINED
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FTRAINED »

Appeciate the feedback fellas.
keep it reel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by keep it reel »

Gday ozlad,
The 4.9 is only rated to 90hp and Yamaha only make a 90hp in 2 stroke so i went the biggest motor that i could at the time it runs fine but you can't have too much hp so a 100hp would be good no different in weight i believe as the 80hp is just down rated 100hp if i am not mistaken.
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

Hi I just bought 4.9 Renagade with 4mm bottom and rerated to 100 hp by quintrex factory, Hope to put 100 suzuki on it soon.
Should be very economical and still have power when loaded up for weekend trips away. I'm going to use the side pockets on driver side as rod locker, also replace flimsy side console with one welded bolted into the Sub frame floor, I am upgrading tank to 120 lt for longer range.
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.