Mercury help 2

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
muckamadboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mercury help 2

Post by muckamadboy »

Did a recent post about the problems with my mercury 60 hp efi in this forum, came to the conclusion it isn't the fuel or overheating or water pump. And it's not in guardian mode as it is still getting 5500 revs with no alarms. It idles fine but when placed in gear it is slightly vibrating more then normal and clunking it is struggling to get to the plane and is not reaching top speed. I assume because I hit the sand bank in gear at 25kmph it has damaged something. In the gear case or something to do with the prop housing. The prop is a little worn but no big chunks or anything serious looking.At home when not running It spins nicely in neutral no grinding , when in gear it spins and clicks not to sure if that's normal. Is it a common thing To happen or what could the cause be? And would it be a long job in the shop?
Cheers.

Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mercury help 2

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Check the shaft run out mate, might have bent it a bit. Or just go see George at nt unique, he looks after my boat and knows his poop
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Mercury help 2

Post by hottuna »

Check your external and internal fuel filters. I recently had the exact problem on the same engine. Mercury told me it slips into guardian for 3 reasons. Overheat, over rev and low oil pressure. Turned out the tank had 20 litres of water in it from a dodgy breather. New filters and it went like a dream. That engine had 2 hours on it
Bluewater Dreamin'