Should one-punch killers get life in jail?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 32

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Queensland plans to give one-punch killers life in jail ... http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 6862482430

Is this right?

sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Should one-punch killers get life in jail?

Post by sheps »

All murderers should get life.
dorey76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dorey76 »

sheps wrote:All murderers should get life.
Agreed, shouldn't matter the circumstances behind it, anyone who takes anothers life should not be apart of society
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

Life is a bit harsh, it would depend on the circumstances.
10 years to think about about what they did wrong would probably do.
Life for the Person who is deliberately going out to cause trouble would be fair.
Sick of coming home Fishless
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I dont believe there is a black and white answer to that. It all comes down to circumstance.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Hard to set a blanket penalty for so many variations.
Like has been said, if some nutter sets out to deck someone for that night, yeah.
If 2 blokes are facing off and one gets a first punch in, no.
I remember the Guy Waters fight for a title years ago. The ref said the usual ‘touch gloves and come out fighting’.
Waters did come out fighting and the other bloke didn’t. Waters decked him in the one and only punch for the match
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

Triple J's Hack program had a really good segment and discussion about this topic a while ago.

From what I recall, one of the points made was that it's quite difficult for a Magistrate/Judge to allow for a ruling that the individual that through the punch, caused the death. When in actual fact, from a Coroner's viewpoint, it's the hit to the head of the recipient's head hitting ground/concrete that causes the death, not the initial blow from the punch.

If anything, it's manslaughter. I wouldn't have a clue but I'd take a stab in the dark and say that, by law, manslaughter does not have a provision for life imprisonment. Which I believe might be why the Queensland Government is attempting to introduce these new laws. Happy to be corrected though.

It could be either of these links, not sure:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/stories/s3935107.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/stories/s3934346.htm
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

If its a king hit (coward punch) then yes!
swamp
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by swamp »

Needs to be a cultural change. Mates need look after each other. The mates of the guy who wants to punch someone shouldn't let him.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I ended up in court in the seventies for a one hit job,I didn't kill the clown but I didn't do him any favours either as he was not much good for anything afterwards It's a story I don't want to get into but it got ruled self defence as it was
In my opinion it depends on the circumstances ,if some one blinds sides some one with a sucker punch and it can be proven that is what happened then the full extent of the law should come down on them.
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

I think the one punch law refers to punches that take the guy unawares i.e. cowards punch. Could be wrong but if so life in prison is a good penalty.
Regards Dick
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Remember that life in Qld is only 20 years
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Life is different in all states. What is does not mean is natural life. When was the last time a prisoner got out in a box? Nearly never.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

I'm with Dick on this, pretty sure it's in reference to the cheap shot, king hit, cowards punch, or whatever anyone wants to call it.
There's been the 'argument' successfully used regarding 'the intent to kill' as a means of downgrading the death to 'man-slaughter'.
Personally I think that is pure cr.p.
The 'intent' is to do harm to an unsuspecting person, ergo, if the 'harm' results in death, the charge can only be murder.
In that case, life imprisonment without any prospect of parole is the only just result.
If that can't be done, for whatever reason, then the minimum served should be no less than what could have been the victims expected life expectancy, on the balance of probabilities, had the attack not taken place.
It's a totally different matter when two blokes 'square off', in that, there is an awareness by BOTH parties that there is a prospect of injury/death as a result, and, any subsequent legal action would have to be based on that premise.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

If you punch someone and they don't know you are going to do it...or they have not agreed to a fight......YOU ARE A COWARD.

People die or are brain damaged for life ALL THE TIME from this sort of sh*t. Seriously. We just never hear about it.

What needs to change more than anything is the culture that says its OK to just punch someone because you didn't like what they said or did. Its not okay. THE HELL ITS OKAY!

And if you think those Queensland sentences are harsh well ask an 18 year old kid who cant walk, speak, feed himself, cr.p, play, get married, have children,.....ask him what he thinks of a sentence like that. A walk in the park he would say if he could. Swap you any day.

"I was drunk". No. You were a cowardly piece of scum. Stop making us sick by having to listen to your pathetic excuses.

The sooner we as a community decide that we refuse to tolerate the myth that punching and seriously injuring someone who isn't expecting it and doesn't want to fight is somehow cool.....the sooner we get rid of moronic scum cowards who disable or kill our sons and daughters.

(My comments are my own and reflect only my personal views on the matter)
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...