South alligator info

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

South alligator info

Post by hobbit »

Hi all I'm wanting to go to the south alligator this week end towards the top but I have never been there before. Can anyone tell me if any hazards to look out for also how long it takes from the ramp to the flood plain any info Would be nice

hobbit03
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: South alligator info

Post by theodosius »

Watch out for mud banks, they mostly seem to be on the outside of the bends going upstream. Floodplains are maybe 20 km upstream. Nourlangie has some stumps to watch out for at low tide.
Simmi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmi »

Stay right when heading under bridge as there is a big sandbar on the left
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

river has changed heaps from the flooding. go on the high tide and watch your sounder
Storyteller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Storyteller »

The South is like no other river for navigating . In 3.5 years living out that way I saw guys who had fished the river for 10 years still hitting mud banks, it's a b$tch,! Going upstream probably ( definitely) not as bad as going down. The bigger the tide, the harder it is. Navving on a dropping tide when there's still flood water is borderline dangerous if you don't know what your doing. I would suggest going with some one who knows the river first to get the hang of the way you have to follow the channels.....Good luck, was great colour change and a few fish about when I was there 3 weeks ago. Should be better now with a bit less water