Anyone know of any jobs in aquaculture or marine?

Mannofishes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Anyone know of any jobs in aquaculture or marine?

Post by Mannofishes »

Hey guys I'm seventeen turning eighteen in May and looking to get out of school , does anyone know of any traineeships or apprenticeships on offer in the marine / aquaculture industry . If so could you please text 0428 835 105 or pm me . Cheers.

Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Anyone know of any jobs in aquaculture or marine?

Post by Fish Tank »

Finish school first dude. Trust me.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Agree 100%. Finish school first.
Most, if not all, hate being banged up in school and think we could do better for ourselves out in the big wide world of money making.
If you leave school early, it wont be long until you are kicking yourself because youre stuck in a dead end job while your mates land good jobs
sure there are people who become millionaires without finishing school but you can count them on one hand.
Im not one of them thats for sure.
head down in the books now will make life easier in future.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

If ya don't want to be at school at least get a good trade. Don't go straight into the work force as a labourer or some thing like that. Spend the four years on poop money and hard work but you will be better off in the long run. It may mean ya have to be at school in a different capacity. Trade school.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

A lot of places now wont even consider you without year 12. Choose easy electives and enjoy your last year of freedom before you become a slave to the daily grind.
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

If you aren't out there doing work experience off your own initiative then you are going to find it hard. Education is one thing but initiative, work ethic and commitment will get you a job so ring around and put your name in someone's mind and on their list. Leaving school without much work experience you would need to understand the area of work your getting into if you want an apprenticeship. This is what you need to show in interviews. I won't necessarily pick the academic amongst the resumes, I'm looking for the signs the applicant will fit into the organisation and take on the trade.

I've interviewed school leavers for apprenticeships for a lot of years now, and it's chalk and cheese who has hand skills, initiative and work ethic. You can see the ones who just wants a job waiting for the opportunity to move on without putting much in.

Put yourself in the best position to get a job.

Dex
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Spot on Dex.
I remember when i started, i had the choice of 3 different apprenticeships. I was no scholar but that was the way it was back then.
Like blw said, most wont touch you even for a trade unless you have yr12.
My mate (my former apprentice) now is CEO of a large co in Canberra and they dont even have apprentices anymore, they have cadets who have done a degree at uni. (i wouldnt stand a chance now)

Dex, do you consider applicants who havent finished yr12?
Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bellfish »

hey mate if your still in school finish it talk to your work experience program and try get them to put you in a Elements of shipboard safety course its a 6 week course and most boats wont touch you without it once you finish that and turn 18 you can apply for a job with paspaley as there always looking for work also if your still at school try get onto the charter companys and say your looking for a couple tucker trips most will ask you if you have elements so don't get your hopes up p.s finish year 12 will help you out with the start on life every man and is dog want a year 12 graduate even in the marine/aquaculture industry trust me anyway good luck tight lines
mnemonix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mnemonix »

Bellfish: Good suggestion of the ESS course. It's actually only a 3 day course. You're thinking of the STCW95 which is a more detailed course with watchkeeper components, and a requirement of foreign going vessels.
If you intend to commence a seagoing career it's an essential start.
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Depends where you do ESS.
There are short courses available, but they are a waste of time. Do a full length course and you will hit the ground running.
Bluewater Dreamin'
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

Nomad, I have employed apprentices without Year 12. One young lad was doing it hard at school but his hand skills and knowledge of the trade was backed up because he was working his backside off taking every opportunity to get any form of work experience in the trade. He also backed it up via the aptitude tests we ran. He's now a gun in his trade. I have also employed a few adult apprentices (mid 30's) who hadn't gone through the new age Year 12 hoop. Skills and attitude can win you a job and it can also show you the door.

I've employed successful year 12 apprentices who have shown little aptitude but because of low number in the top pick during the selection process we took them on to give them a go. Most get there whilst one or two of them have fallen away after working in the trade.

How many of us knew really what we wanted to do when we left school?

Dex
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

The elements of ship board saftey is pretty well redundant in most jobs in the marine industry now. the STCW 95 has replaced it. Not cheap but a definite requirement in the industry. As for aquaculture degrees and education on science and Maths are a strong requirement to even be looked at.
Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bellfish »

mnemonix wrote:Bellfish: Good suggestion of the ESS course. It's actually only a 3 day course. You're thinking of the STCW95 which is a more detailed course with watchkeeper components, and a requirement of foreign going vessels.
If you intend to commence a seagoing career it's an essential start.
yep stcw95 is what I meant
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

ESS is still relevent for alot of jobs particularly in Aqua culture
It also gives you common units towards STCW, it's a great starting point
Bluewater Dreamin'
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I wonder if the OP read any of this stuff and maybe reconsidered his question?
be nice to get some feedback from him. Maybe he didnt like what he read