Moving to Darwin

gregn77

Moving to Darwin

Post by gregn77 »

I will be moving up to Darwin in the next month or two and was wondering how suitable my current boat is for the area. I have a 3.7 quintrex with a 25 on it. The wife is a bit concerned that it isn't much bigger than the water lizards getting around. Is this the case? Just wondering if I should go a bigger boat or stick with what I've got until I am more familiar with the area? Any tips would be appreciated....

mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Moving to Darwin

Post by mippa »

be a good boat for crabbing mate. i personally wouldnt use a boat that size these days up here as the crocs aren't scared of us like they used to be and they are getting bigger. A lot of nomads do use small boats but i would say 4.2m min. depends what fishing your into and where you want to go. we have different sea conditions up here so blue water i would recommend a minimum of 4.5m+ but if you are just sticking in close in the harbor your boat will be fine. more water = less chance of a croc :croc:

but tell your misso its too small then you can upgrade :mrgreen: 8)
Scarey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Scarey »

For the harbour it should be fine, but if you're going to Rivers/Billabongs then personally I'd upgrade.

Only experience with a small boat here was last year with a 3.8 tinny at Corroboree. Spent more time looking over my shoulder and making sure I wasn't too near the sides than I did fishing. Crocs are just about the only things which turn me into a complete coward.
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

depends on where your planning on going. fine for the harbour arms. I used to have a car topper 3.4 m and after passing some big fellas in the billabongs and once in the south alligator I got rid of it and bought a 4.6m.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Gday gregn77
Your wife has a good point :croc: .And as some may say a 3.7 is a great LITTLE crabbing boat ,its just not big enough from a safety point of view. I,m not having a go at your rig mate I,m sure its a great boat for the type of fishing you do .But just getting across Darwin harbor could be a challenge in certain conditions.
I reckon you need to have a look around when you get here and then decide what you want to use the boat for. I,d be looking at
something around 4.5 mt with a 50/80 hp (Yamaha :D ) for river and harbor but if you want get outside in the blue water 5 to 6mt
100hp .
Good luck with your move ,good fishing :catch:

cheers
Jeff
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yeah what Jeffish said.
Physically, a small boat will do the trick in small backyard pools BUT when a big crock pops up next to you and sizes you up, you will quickly change your mind.
I started off with a 3.5m car topper but upgraded very quickly.

Min size for outside is a 5m.
Your missus will understand when you come home one day with a shiny new big boat :D
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Just carry a gun I've found that adds a lot more length and stability to my little boats ;)
It's a shame really that so
Many people are wary of crocodiles we shouldn't have to be ..
I still use a little 10foot punt with a 15hp in shoal bay Finniss Adelaide river
Have I mentioned I hate crocs . :)
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

I gets a shiver down my spine when I see tourists in Corroboree sitting on planks (small car toppers). :shock:

Each to their own and I know people only have so much money to spend on their pride and joy, but if you can't afford a boat that gives you security (it's a personal feeling) then move up in size or keep out of the waters where the crocs population is higher.

As has been said, your boat is fine for the Harbour and creeks around Darwin.

Shady Camp or the Billabongs I would be unsociable and decline on offer to deckie for you.

Dex
Biff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Biff »

If ya guna upgrade your boat,do it before you come up here,or you will be torn a new ass!
Cheers.
gregn77

Post by gregn77 »

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I might give it a go in close round the harbour until I upgrade.
Escape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Escape »

Theres heaps you can do around Darwin in your boat mate.... You wont be disapointed if you bring it!

Even if you eventually upgrade theres nothing wrong with keeping the tinny too.
I own several boats & i reckon the smallest one gets used the most!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Dude, if your wife says you need a bigger boat. You should obey and dont ask questions :lol:
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Fark Darwin's getting SOFT!!

Mate - your 12 footer will be fine. You got more chance being smacked on Mitchell Street than being nailed by a croc ......
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Lats wrote:Dude, if your wife says you need a bigger boat. You should obey and dont ask questions :lol:
this , you may regret this opportunity in years to come . Sum sound advice :D
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

just visit crocadillus zoo when you get here. You are only 2mt away from a big croc feeding :shock:

Your choice of boat size will be very clear after a visit. :wink:
023.JPG
026.JPG
028.JPG
and a cool place to visit :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.