25/11/2013 Lizzy trip and another boat ramp story.

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
robertnewland90
Gold Member
Gold Member

25/11/2013 Lizzy trip and another boat ramp story.

Post by robertnewland90 »

Just my luck, organise 2 weeks off with my little brothers visiting from down south and a cyclone develops, no matter went fishing any ways. Got a few cods and a skinny and dropped a few small barras flicking the snags and drains on the outgoing tide today saw plenty of small barras and even a few salmon working but the water was too dirty for them to see my lures (my excuse anyway). After the tide turned we decided to call it a day.

Got back to the ramp and this is when the excitement started haha. Anyway there were a few young fellas cast netting off the pontoon, they must have caught the barra which was clearly undersize in the net, slit it's throat and was letting it bleed out on the walkway. I mentioned that the fish looked a bit on the small side as I walked past to grab my car. They said it was legal and called me a southerner (i'm territory born and bred). Retrieved the boat after parking up on fella stomped over clearly aggravated at my comment asking what was my problem. After saying people that take undersized fish he was getting more aggressive. At which point I ignored him even though he was standing over me at this point. Packed up the car and left him yelling at the ramp after walking back to his friends. Was I in the wrong for saying something? What would you have done? Hopefully they at least think twice before doing it again. Funny thing is one of his mates said it looked undersized to him haha.

When in doubt, Power out,
Or turn right...
Gregsy
Seadog
Seadog

Re: 25/11/2013 Lizzy trip and another boat ramp story.

Post by Gregsy »

Should have just flicked it off the edge into the water with you foot..."whoops I tripped"
jdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jdog »

I would of flicked him off the edge with my foot
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I find comments to people at the ramp doing the wrong thing seem to get this "in your face" response :fubird:

Just not worth getting into it and putting yourself at risk. Just get their rego and phone it in .
Last edited by jeffish on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

You did fine. :applause:

You can live with yourself doing the right thing and the block head who can't measure sh*t gets bad Karma.

Maybe his misses can vouch for his humungous manhood or then again maybe not. :twisted:

He may need a correction factor or maybe he uses the girls toilets. Standing over someone who is doing the right thing is gutless.

Society is full of want a bees and bullies.

Good on you

Dex
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Call the authorities. I approached some guys using a 40cm barra as livebait once , turned pretty ugly
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

The world is full of twats like that Robert. You can't respond at their level or they win. Society becomes a place of idiots confronting idiots with mutual idiocy. Good you for challenging them on the underside fish. And good on you for maintaining your cool and ignoring their invitation to yobosity. You walk away with dignity and the respect of solid men.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Mate the arse clowns are everywhere down there - last time I launched down there I parked the car and was walking back to the pontoon when some clown was going to park his car on the side of the road at the top of the ramp - I was going to give him a gob full of abuse and then tried a different tack - as i walked past I said - "mate I wouldn't park there the inspectors come down here all the time and you will get a ticket" - he thanked me and went and parked in the car park - in your case you probably couldn't have done much different you ust have to be careful there are some nasty types about - probably best to ring the numbers plastered all over the posters at the ramp and let the authorities deal with it - if they can be bothered - the police have rights to check fish as well so they might have been an option - especially if they were getting a bit nasty and confrontational.

Good on ya for having a dig at them.

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

i guess it all comes down to weather the winch handle was a removable one or fixed one. You done well to ignore the tool if you had a removable handle , just kidding.
You done the only right thing to do , he will do it to the wrong person sooner or later
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Hey the Water Police coppers are pretty good. Give them some info on who / where to target and at what times and they are usually there. This bulls..t of letting people get away with cr.p like that just makes them build in confidence that they can get away with catching undersized fish. I like to think that the coppers target land based fishers and not just boaters. You are right about the Lizzy BR - some serious freaks in that area.

Anyone heard what is happening with the secure (?) compound area there...? I'm always wary about launching from there and always a matter of lock it, hide it or lose it...
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

People are so unpredictable these days and don't give a rats.
I will always confront wrong doers but indirectly. saying things like, 'fisheries have been doing a lot of spot checks lately down here, so you would get nailed for that undersized fish' or like Shane said - mention the coppers.
Always report it. the coppers cant be everywhere at all times. thats what they are there for.

re the lockup, its still up in the air as far as i know. they were going to push it thru before the wet season but that isnt going to happen
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

There's your problem. :mrgreen: Your boat ramp is to close to Palmerslum. :bbad:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Hey guys I caught another metery, No cam its a 53cm! :twisted:
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

I wish I was there and he said that to me, the poor bastard would have been floating in Lizzy with half his teeth missing :bbad:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

It is interesting to read of your experience because lately I have been noticing more and more young blokes loaded with agro and attitude around Darwin. I can only assume that for the majority of these blokes it is underlying low self esteem and probably bad parenting. It's hard to respect others when you don't really respect yourself and some of the shyte people I have seen in this town who have children...well it's no wonder these clowns are so clueless.
No matter where you go, there you are!