Big Fish Stories

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Big Fish Stories

Post by deepblack »

Hi All,
Ok, so here's the deal, I want to hear your big Territory Marlin stories. In particular those around the coast within reasonable striking distance of Darwin.
I guess anything of around 100lb and bigger qualifies in NT waters so let's get the ball rolling, and yes it's in pounds, we are talking Marlin after all.

In the two years I was Marlin fishing in Darwin I came across five big fish with a few more in the marginal bracket, most notable was the one I caught at Long Lost that went 200-250lb but I have crossed paths with another four that made that fish look small in the 400-600lb bracket all in the vincinity of North Gutter.

Here's a photo of the 200 pounder, the deckie was a terrible photographer but it wasn't his fish so why would he give a rats eh?
P6190015 - Copy.JPG
P6190014.JPG
Anyway, what is the point of this post you may ask? Well I'm coming back to the Territory in the new year and the hunt for Goliath is on.... 8) (And everyone loves a big fish story...... :mrgreen: )
Cheers, :cheers:
John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Big Fish Stories

Post by DOUG »

Caught a 173kg girth and length measurement estimate in the trench caught a 200kg length short measurement 2.7m short measurement
Fought a decent marlin that took a 6kg Mack tune I fought for 45 mins and then a marlin took it on 3kg line fought it for 4 hours wide of Perons
Hooked a 150kg marlin in trench over the weekend
Let me know when ya thinking of going big and well be there ..
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

They good eating?
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

150+kg I now it's off groote but its me best one so far
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Now that's what I'm talking about Boys'. 8) Doug, we need to catch up for a chat and maybe a few :drinking5: at the ski club. You've come across some good fish lately mate. Nothing wrong with that specimen there either nogood! :mrgreen:
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

I sat on the table at the billfish presentation tonight with the fella that fished with peter pakula and he said peter estimated the fish they had between 250 and 200kg that was in north gutter .
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Yeah Doug, nearly all the big fish I have seen have been at the top of the North Gutter either feeding on or hanging around the resident Mackerel and Tuna schools there. I can see myself spending a bit of time there next season. :bonk: