First Post

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

First Post

Post by mickd »

Hi all!
Thought I'd let you all in on my fishing escapades this dry season. Decided at the start of the year to put away the barra gear and get myself a 1000 spin reel and 1-4kg rod. I spooled it with 3kg braid and 1m of 4kg FC leader. The challenge was to fish land based spots around darwin using lures only. So far I have caught the following species; @50 queenfish to 65cm, taking around 4 mins to land. 5 flathead to 45cm, 8 trevally (all @ 20cm) over 60 whiting to 27cm...,.caught over 30 one day at Lee Point on popper! Never before or again, but this day they were schooling up jelly prawns and busting up in 3 or 4 schools in the shallows!! 2 bluebone (small) long toms, heaps of jumping glass heads??, 6 garfish, 1 mackeral of 50cm, which surprisingly gave up sooner than the queenie but definately ran faster! 5 blue salmon, one barra (30cm) and about 8 cod to 30cm.
Most of these fish were caught on small poppers (BCF sell packs of 4 Rogue poppers for @$12 ...just upgrade the trebles!).
I have had a ball with these fish on such light gear.....almost makes up for not having YET joined the metery club after 16 years here and over 1500 barra notched up. For the record my biggest wenmt 98.5cm AAAARRRGH!!!!
Before you ask, these fish were all caught between rapid and buffalo creek at various tidal stages but always @ 1m of water. And I told you about the poppers....SO THAT'S IT OK??!!
I can't fish these areas for a while as a small cut on my foot has turned into a nasty infection doc says ecoli contamination from our foreshores!!!Definately 100% catch and release from now on!!!!
Cheers guys....

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: First Post

Post by Matt Flynn »

Interesting first post, sounds like you are doing real well.

Shame about the foot ...
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mickd »

Thanks...yea I need to wade out knee - waist deep to reach the strike zone , have to hit up east point or somewhere high n dry until i heal up.
bigphil16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigphil16 »

Great first post. Getting the results, nice to see
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

thanks. this post actually got me thinking hitting the lure fishing again. checked my lures yesterday, no more shine in them, (can fix it though ), but decided to grab a packet of Tasmanian devil lures , and made my prawn alike booper lures this afternoon. I will go for a test Saturday dusk. keep me away from hearing Labour lose the election. :uhh:
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Good work Mick d....now you just have to sort out the pics!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
yakfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yakfish »

You're doing awesome mate. I struggle up here landbased. Nice to know you can go super light and get away with it. I miss my 4lb breaming outfits I have back home. Are you fishing the beaches or the creeks?
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

my lightest main line would be 6 kgs. mono fishing nightcliff shores , casuarina shores for whiting. my son rigged up one of my cheap 2500 spin reel with 4 pounds braid (1.8 kilo approx.) for hooking garfishes. I cant even see the line in front of me :banghead: and I got the job to untangle it too :banghead:
I said I can catch more garfishes using 20 lbs braid, same rig . kid wont believe me. now, he is back in Brisbane , hope he studies :lol:
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au