FFF Seadogs - Round 8 - Saltwater Barra & Salmon

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: FFF Seadogs - Round 8 - Saltwater Barra & Salmon

Post by theodosius »

Got a 55 in Shoal Bay yesterday before the wind picked up. Didn't have apaper though :bonk:

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

FFF Seadogs - Round 8 - Saltwater Barra & Salmon - Day 18
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

FFF Seadogs - Round 8 - Saltwater Barra & Salmon - Day 22
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Sullo wrote:
jeffish wrote:Go back tomorrow ,,,A meter upgrade :mrgreen: well done :catch:
:D :D :D :cry: :cry: :cry: .pic says it all.
:shock: take a bigger stick mate ,did you get a chance to see the bludger,,,might need a gun :hunting:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

57cm lower ord on scorpion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Matt Flynn wrote:Last week's calm, warm weather had the desired effect, with better barramundi fishing in the billabongs and opportunities to go offshore for mackerel and reef fish.
Almost everyone who went out caught fish.
Mackerel are turning up in numbers on wide reefs and tuna are reliable at Lee Point depending on the tide.
The Vernon Islands have been producing loads of queenfish and the Finniss and Daly Rivers are producing the best barramundi fishing, with the Adelaide River rockbars improving above Goat Island.
Katherine Rod and Rifle's Warren de With's confirmed fishing improved across the board last week, especially in billabongs.
"The Roper and McArthur Rivers also picked up according to reports from locals,'' he said.
"There have been some good barra reports from the Katherine River out of town.
"The Daly River is going strong.
"I noticed that on Friday the wind was coming back which usually means cool weather is on the way - but if it stays warm this next week could be good.
"I have not heard much from the tourists coming up from the Gulf of Carpentaria.
"The Victoria River has been quiet - it will be tested this week as quite a few locals are going to fish the next neap tides there - the Vic has been a bit quiet this year after the late flooding it got.
"The barra farm sea cage proposals for Darwin and Bynoe Harbours are a concern - AFANT believes Darwin Harbour already has enough environmental pressure on it, especially relevant given recent publicity about the tonnes of raw sewage being pumped out off Larrakeyah."
Fishing and Outdoor World's Matt West said went to Shady Camp on Wednesday and caught a few barra on the billabong above the barrage.
"The barrage has stopped flowing now - there was still a little coming around the shortcut but on a big tide it flows back into the billabong - they might need to fix the barrage or else the fresh water side will suffer saltwater intrusion,'' he said.
"We caught fish to 6kg on the top rockbar mainly on plastics - even tourists putting along with lures 3m behind the boat and travelling at four knots were catching barra so there must be plenty of fish.
"Some people at Corroboree Billabong are getting up to a dozen barra a trip while others are just catching tarpon. Hardies Billabong - I haven't heard of a fish coming from Hardies this year.
"The water needs to fall and the temperature needs to come up a bit.
"A few of our regulars hit the billabongs at the top of the South Alligator River system and caught a lot of fish to 65cm.
"George Voukolos Sr has just come back from Vanuatu where he caught dogtooth tuna and some big GTs.
"My brother Mark went to the Vernon Islands on Thursday and couldn't do wrong - the mackerel and queenfish were biting everywhere. He said he had never seen anything like with queenies one after another.
"At Lee Point on the way home he got tuna - there are heaps of tuna out there - one of our regulars has been catching them on a jetski.
"I have not heard of too many tuna coming further into the harbour though.
"The Finniss River has been producing lots of barra this year.
"The Daly River has been the same. A friend recently caught a 1.20m and 1.08m trolling Barra Magnums in guns'n'roses.
"But the Daly s-bends seem to have not really fired yet.
"The bluewater scene has been good - Cullen Bay Charters reports plenty of goldies and jewies and Equinox's John Jordan has been doing well with mackerel and reef fish."
Got One's Craig Grosvenor said awesome reports came through the shop last week.
"The Daly is firing on all cylinders with anglers sporting wide smiles - trolled Classics, Judges and RMG Scorpions in green colours did the damage yet again particularly around and below Elizabeth Creek,'' he said.
"The mouth of Bamboo Creek was also good at night with 4" Nilsmaster Invincibles, Bills Bug fizzers and poppers nailing barramundi to 92cm.
"The neap tides were also favourable for the Finniss River, with numerous crews returning productive reports.
"Again Classics, RMGs and Reidys Judges worked at the weekend.
"Around Darwin the annual influx of northern bluefin tuna seems to have come on strong as anglers attempt to tackle schools at speed off Lee Point and East Point.
"Some anglers are becoming increasingly frustrated as they are outsmarted by the fish ... other crews are predicting school movements and sitting and waiting with engines shut off and scoring numerous fish to 8kg on small chromies and maribou jigs cast with high-speed outfits.
"Finally, the Bottlewasher Reef off Lee Point has become a temporary home to some hefty spaniards to 20kg, taken on Halco Lazer Pro's trolled directly over structures at speed ... single strand wire providing the only alternative to many 'snipped' on mono leaders.
"Jewfish to 14kg also roam the Bottlewasher with one crew slamming a number of big fish in a night session.
"Anglers Reef produced some spanish mackerel on drifted pilchards set in a berley trail. "Saltwater Arm on the Adelaide River mouth has been good for jewfish, with a crew nailing a '50 pounder' high up in a creek no wider than the Got One shop!
"I was surprised to hear that Shoal Bay was a little lifeless for barra last weekend, however some healthy crabs helped satisfy unlucky anglers.
"The forthcoming spring phase - with the help of some warmer nights - should again see Shoal Bay return to its glory, no doubt producing the big barra it is so well known for."
Equinox Fishing Charters' John Jordan said last week was a great week for offshore fishing.
"Mackerel, jewies, snapper, trout - you name it and we caught it last week,'' he said.
"Good weather conditions have helped us. Fishing out towards Bass Reef, Loee Patches has produced the results.
"Mackerel to 14kg were caught, snapper to 4kg and jewies to 15kg.
"What a great time for the fish to come on with the V8 Super cars going wild."
Top End Fishing Supplies' Pip Clement said the Daly River had been fishing well, and Shoal Bay's Howard River.
"A nice story - we were told of a local copper who was fishing in Shoal Bay with his family and every one had been catching fish except him,'' Pip said.
"Then a sea eagle dropped a live mullet on top of the roof of his canopy - it must have had sympathy for him.
"The charter boats have been cleaning up with plenty of mackerel showing up in catches now.
"We did a night charter on Thursday and caught some good jewfish.
"Other than that the fishing overall has been good because of the calm weather - we are still hearing good yarns from the Finniss River particularly.
"There has not been a lot of news from the bigger river systems.
"Some customers went to the Adelaide River and caught some nice fish casting below Goat Island.
"There are mud crabs everywhere."
Happy Micks' Mick Chambers said he believed the Finniss River fished well this year because it had rain steadily over the catchment through January, before the final big fall from Cyclone Monica in April.
Other rivers had been dry in January after an early December burst, with rain not picking up until February.
"And consider this - how many other major tidal rivers are there between the Howard and the Daly River?" Mick said.
"With the water temperature up above 24C it looks like its going to be the place to be for a few weeks yet."
whatttt?no metery?

Sent from my GT-S6310T using Tapatalk 4
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Damn wrong quote.....

Sent from my GT-S6310T using Tapatalk 4
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

ponyplay wrote:57cm lower ord on scorpion
You posting bait now curt,or are you gonna do a cuddles and post the big one on the 29th :D :mrgreen:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

jeffish wrote:
ponyplay wrote:57cm lower ord on scorpion
You posting bait now curt,or are you gonna do a cuddles and post the big one on the 29th :D :mrgreen:
ha ha na mate this is my big one :mrgreen:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Hmmmmmm, A double bluff or................... a desperate attempt to post a fish for the month! Which game you playing PONY! :jester:

I got nothing yet! Boat trailer getting repaired today so hope to change that on day 29. :lol:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

cuddlescooper wrote:Hmmmmmm, A double bluff or................... a desperate attempt to post a fish for the month! Which game you playing PONY! :jester:

I got nothing yet! Boat trailer getting repaired today so hope to change that on day 29. :lol:
Last edited by ponyplay on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

ponyplay wrote:
cuddlescooper wrote:Hmmmmmm, A double bluff or................... a desperate attempt to post a fish for the month! Which game you playing PONY! :jester:

Na not desperate well not as much as posting ya partners fish :fu:
lol I can see that as you always seem to have so many friends in the boat to take photo's for you! :fu:
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

cuddlescooper wrote:
ponyplay wrote:

lol I can see that as you always seem to have so many friends in the boat to take photo's for you! :fu:
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Hello people,

I managed to sneak out to Middle Arm a fortnight ago to snare a barra for the month.

63cm barra on a trolled green and gold lucifer, on a falling tide at a likely looking rockbar. Tasty fish!
63cm barra - middle arm.JPG
location shot.JPG
cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Hi everyone

been a bit quiet for the last couple of months with stuff happening at home

managed to get out for a fish this month, snared a nice Blue Salmon cruising the flats at the blue holes, but didn't realise Salmon counted this month, had the paper and matt as well dammit. :banghead:

never mind, got out with Smartypants on the weekend and we managed a couple in the Lizzie, got a reasonable 68cm model, fun on the light gear.
IMG_3891 1.jpg
IMG_3894 1.jpg
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!