Should USA hit Syria?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Should USA hit Syria?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 28

GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Should USA hit Syria?

Post by GoodLookinPete »

DOUG wrote:Come on palmo really ?? Not right away :) :)
:rofl: :rofl:

madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

The Poms have rejected any attack.
Now Obama has decided to go to congress for approval (after saying earlier that they would go it alone).

It’s a conundrum either way. If they strike, they will get dragged into another war. If they don’t the Assad regime will see that as a green light. :evil:
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Is it right to sit back and do nothing?
----------------------------
-----------------------------
DEEPRIVER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DEEPRIVER »

What an interesting thread , full of interesting responses.

I think the Yanks relish adopting the role of 'world disciplinarian'. In the first instance due to a hilariously misguided belief they have a moral right and obligation [christian theology based ] to protect the world and promote 'democracy' , and in the second instance provide an unspoken , shadowy boost to the industrial military machine [which wields tremendous power in congress].

Russia is recalcitrant because of its economic and military interests. And its loathing of any 'western' philosophy when it comes to unstable zones in which it has a strong interest. Irrespective of the civilian cost.

Other middle east nations are deathly quiet lest they stir another hornets nest of discontent and provide another entry for radicals [Al Qaeda etc].

If Lebanon had the means , they would have every reason to wipe the Assad regime. For years now Syria has been attacking Lebanon under clandestine circumstances. killing hundreds if not thousands of civilians there. Hardly a peep of news about this over the past few years.
nomad wrote:'Yes please' I hear the great nation of war mongers yelling from the mountain tops.

I mean, think of all those people who would lose their jobs in the great manufacturing centers that spew out military hardware.
Remember that involvement in just 2 wars is never enough
The yanks own the world and they cant just stand by and let bad things happen. (unless of course its the yanks doing the bad things and then its OK)
No one should ever kill innocent civilians
(of course yanks are exempt form the above statement - no one really remembers Japan and the 2 massive nukes they dropped on the civvies there do they? that was just soooo long ago)
It will not be very long before the good ol' USA will become a secondary power. India , China , Brasil , Taiwan will all streak ahead in economic and military strength in the next 25yrs.

The methodology of US style capitalism and government [and UK and a lesser extent Australia...] will fail under its own weight of misguided focus [financial sector , wall street , etc].

A country simply cannot function on monetary speculation driven by 2% of the population.
Manufacturing....eg: making and selling things , intellectual property , and advanced agriculture keep nations going.
14% of the total US population live in actual poverty. 46million people. Three times this number live on the 'borderline' of poverty for their whole lives. Another 40% again will experience 'extended periods' of poverty in their lifetimes. The disparity of wealth distribution is , scarily enough , almost identical in the UK and Australia.

The current 'style' of capitalism simply does not work for any nation.

Oh yeah...Syria.
Middle East countries need to sort out their sh-t. Maybe some sort of united arab body needs to be formed to do just this.
Israel is a whole other bag of sh-t altogether. Dont get me started on Israel.... :rofl:

Barney.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Barney,
You responded eloquently but seemed to skirt the question, as I did, " should USA hit Syria? " It will end badly with either a yes or a no I think.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Well put deepriver 8)

there is no right or wrong. the whole thing is just totally wrong.

I have a feeling that the typical delayed reactions of the UN will ensue and the problem will be sent to the back pages of history like most/all other UN involvement. There will be the usual videos and pictures showing the results of the current actions

In a couple of years, (unless the yanks start another war there) we will have forgotten about the atrocities in Syria just like we have done with sooo many of the past (Congo etc) , and the war crimes tribunal (which, by then, should be finished with the Rwanda war crimes commission) will move in to take action against the perpetrators/regime

Meanwhile, Africa will be the same problem that no one wants to talk about, Israel and the rest will still be at it and we will be whinging about the govt of the day because our standard of living has declined so much that the price of fuel, smokes and beer has risen

Its part of history and we are going to repeat it because
madmortimer wrote: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

No.......but someone should.
Regards Dick
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

UN is just a p..s ant toothless tiger and will do nothing as usual.
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

Does anyone think our government or population is any less self interested than America? We criticise them, hang on their coat tails and hope they'll protect us.

Key issues in our current election....human rights...social justice....nope, the economy (aka our self interest).
My Giddy Aunt!
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZUraRor1o

Warning graphic video, this place is just wrong.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

...but I digress...
No, they shouldn't attack.
1. It should not be left to America to bear the cost criticism and consequences...if the world wants a strike then the world should do it (yes, I know...who s the world?).
2. The situation is too murky to think that a strike would bring about a solution.
My Giddy Aunt!
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Just think about this for a sec, the US bomb the hell out of Syria, and Assad is over thrown by the rebels. Hooray you say! Who are the rebels? They now have a sh*t load of nerve gas.......
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

So the big question is what should be done and by whom?
Whatever the outcome, this history will be repeated again and again.
Humans are a horrible species.
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

You're right nomad...it's a question with no obvious answer. It highlights the impotency of the United Nations.
My Giddy Aunt!

Return to “General Polls”