CQ Fish tagging

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

CQ Fish tagging

Post by ronje »

Hi

Not sure where to put things these days.

Attached is Info-Fish Services report of tag recaptures for the season 2012 for CQ barra.

Because of closures, the Qld east coast season goes from 1 Feb to 31 October. We are currently in a closed season.

There were 550 barramundi recaptures in the CQ region. See the spreadsheet for details. These are barramundi only. There are a lot more species tagged and reported on elsewhere.

Can't think of any good reason that the NT Billy Taylor barra tag records can't be put up for public viewing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards
Ronje
Chasing_@_130
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: CQ Fish tagging

Post by Chasing_@_130 »

Interesting to see the fish from Lake Theresa making it so far down stream!! They must travel a hell of a long way during the floods. Do u know if they are still stocking Lake Theresa ? I've been there a few times over the last 3 years and haven't cracked it yet. The closest I've come was finding a dead one in the river hear in Emerald. Measured 98cm too. Sad to see such a big fish dead just dumped on the bank
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

That one would have come over the Fairbairn wall wouldn't it?

I believe that Pigsy is still stocking Theresa. Give him a ring in Clermont. (Paul Wilson)

Peter Day still doing Fairbairn now that they've gotten into the SIP scheme?

How long have you been in Emerald? Its my home town.

Gotten onto any Murray Cod in the dam?
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Feb 2013 tag recatures for CQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ronje
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

like to see the growth of some compared to days out.

Thanks for posting again Ronje
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

CQ barramundi recaptures to end April.

Standy
I passed your comment on about growth vs days out.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

bl..dy interesting data. Couple of fish came in smaller than when they were tagged, mustn't have been eating their Weetbix.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

CQ 2013 barra recaptures to end May.
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi

Growth rates of small barramundi in CQ.

Went barra tagging on Friday.

See attached recapture info on little fella I caught.

Tagged at 198mm on 23rd Feb 13 and measured at 375 mm on 12 July 13

It grew 177mm in 139 days.

1.3mm per day. Been in a good paddock for growth rate like that.

The area is a known barra nursery with some bigger fish.

Found a pile of barramundi scales off small barra. Very small barra. Also found small pile of rocks about half brick size. The area is black soil/saltpan country with no rocks.

Obviously a netter has been active. Would have to be using 2/3inch or so mesh size to gillnet the barra having the small scales I saw. Deliberately targeting the small fish.
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi

Bit of Suntag news. Suntag is the Qld fish tagging organisation. 1 million fish on the books.

Ended up going out tagging again on Mon with another 16 barra tagged.

There are a few different strains of barramundi. The Fitzroy strain is centred about the Tropic of Capricorn. This strain has developed within the temperature range of the region. One can still catch barra in winter at temperatures well below those of the NT.

The only people who think that barra don't bite in winter are journos who read each other's stories and repeat them. I think they're members of the bathwater drinkers guild of the recreational fishing fraternity. Drink each other's bathwater.

Bit like the stories about how they let all the "big girls" swim away in impoundments. Just read the number of articles repeating that rubbish.
Regards
Ronje
Sasa23
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sasa23 »

Care to share any Jedi tips Ronje?

I've been out with my first bunch of tags on the Fitzroy R almost almost every Sunday since about early May this year. But sadly haven't used one yet.

I thought it was just Winter coming on, as I got a couple of small fish in March/April but once the cooler days set in I just seem to burn fuel and do lots of casting practice. Maybe not, lol.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Do you want to go tagging some small barra? I'm going next Wed. Tagged 28 in 2 trips last week.
Regards
Ronje
Sasa23
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sasa23 »

Sounds like a great oportunity to learn how to fish this area, but I have to work. Thanks anyway.
Sasa23
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sasa23 »

Sasa23 wrote:Sounds like a great oportunity to learn how to fish this area, but I have to work. Thanks anyway.
How did you go? Tag a few?
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Sorry Sasa

Yep. got 8 little fellas.

Thinking of going to Stanish for 2 weeks in a couple of months. I know the area geographically but haven't done much estuary fishing there.

You done some there?
Regards
Ronje