Braid issues

volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Braid issues

Post by volkoff »

What braid do you use? How do you spool it? Spin or overhead? I have been having trouble lately with my braid. The occasional birds nest and getting knots randomly. Its bl..dy annoying. Anyhow so what do you use? Also do you spool your braid super tight on the reel and do you do it wet? I have been using Rovex braid and thinking of buying some finns as it has a good rep. Thanks guys. :fishy:

BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Braid issues

Post by BenH »

I use suffix for my spin gear, sunline on my baitcasters.
I just ask the guys where I bought to spool it, bit of mono backing, then spool it on fairly tight.

If your using spin and your getting wind knots, your spool is probably too full.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I've found that when using spin reels I load as much as possible on to get more distance.
I get more ‘wind knots’ if I don’t use a swivel on the lure. Fizzers are shocking for twisting line and the amount of wind knots that result
Birds’ nests are usually a result of not having the overhead settings right. I set the overrun etc. every time I change lures. Takes a second at most
If you do find wind knots causing trouble and you don’t like using swivels, then snip the terminal tackle off and let out lots of line in the water behind the boat while steaming around. The twist will self right.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

I use Whiplash. Super thin. Super light. Super smooth.

cheers Brent
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

are you using a spinning reel or baitcaster?
If a spinning reel....google - what causes wind knots. there are a couple of good vids.
I seems to be mostly caused by how the line lays back on the spool when you flick the bail arm back. Often it lays across the top of the spool instead of going under the lip. That's the beginning of the prob. By taking notice to that I have greatly reduce my wind knots, and the ones I get are because I got slack and stopped checking.
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Finns braid from Fishing and Outdoor World . 30lbs on all my barra gear and 50 lbs on all my blue water gear
Toxic
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Toxic »

Fins has done me well. One trick I do with new line is to put a deep diver on and let just about all your line out and wind it in whilst moving.
The line will bed in nice and tight. After that I don't have any dramas.
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

Thanks guys some good ideas there!
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

Suffix braid 832 is good as the 8 stands for 8 different strands woven, wheteas fins is only 5 strands woven, but in saying that I have used the Finns for years and I love it anyhow and the suffix is a bit more pricey. And I always just get the shop to spool it on, saves a lot of time and effort