Advice on setting up?

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
tubsy

Advice on setting up?

Post by tubsy »

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking that I might have a go at the billies this year. My thoughts were that a good quality 15kg stand up outfit should suit the task. Will this be overkill on the local sails? I was thinking of using one of the Daiwa Saltist LDT30 on a roller tipped rod. Will probably spool up with IGFA rated 15kg. Any advice on getting started is very welcome.

Tubsy.

Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Advice on setting up?

Post by Nogood »

Mate we use penn spin fisher in 750size $99 at tackle world and a shimano 6/10kg rod $79 and 10kg line we have three of them we are at 23 sails and one marlin this year so they go all right
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Mate 15kg is overkill for most of the fish, for example these days I'm running 3 x Tyrnos 10II with 8kg Platypus Lo-stretch and 2 x 5000 Stellas with 20lb braid and a long 60lb leader of approx 6m with a bite leader of 100lb. Don't overthink it, chances are anything you think will handle a good Mack or Tuna will be good enough
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Yea unless one of these turns up at Sth gutter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Yep max
That's what happened to me last year, and he ate the mack lure right in the prop wash.

Had plenty of 15kg line on the reel, unfortunately the leader wasn't long enough and that's what gave way after 1.5hours of standup.
Had sore forearms mainly for the rest of the weekend!

Deepblack
Will make sure all the rods have a longer and heavier leader from now on :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
tubsy

Post by tubsy »

Thanks for the info everyone.

Deepblack,
I was thinking that 15kg might be a bit too much. The main reason I was going with that rating, is that I will more than likely end up living on the East Coast again within a couple of years, and chasing a few bigger fish. So I was thinking that I night as well go a little on the large size now and not have to trade up later. I also don't want to end up killing a big fish (if I get lucky) trying to fight it for too long as the unlucky young fellas did a couple of days ago. (Not blaming them, just don't want to get caught out).

Tubsy.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Fair enough, As an option I have mentioned before how about rigging a 40-50cm Queenie (best option good flash and tough as nails), Tarpon (best flash but a bit soft) or School Mackerel (good option mainly because it's often available on the grounds and the big Blacks are often feeding on them I suspect) as a skip bait on 15-24kg on an 11/0 circle and putting it in the spread, most of the time it will act as a very effective and easy to clear teaser for the sails but if that fish of a lifetime turns up you already have a good bait on the appropriate tackle rigged and in the water ready to go. Just clear the light stuff quick to force it to the bigger bait! For the record I still use a Tarpon rigged this way as a teaser in townsville and the little blacks pile on it and as mentioned I love it because not only does it raise fish but it is simple to clear when solo.

I still reckon that the North Gutter area holds the most big fish during the buildup and if i was to fish it now I would run two 24kg outfits one with a swim bait and one with a skip bait and just tow them to be loaded for bear and let them act as Switch bait teasers for anything smaller that turns up. ie. two 5000 size spin outfits loaded with either 6kg mono or 20lb braid and gars on circles would be ready to pitch in the corners.
Cheers, :cheers:
John..
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

When i first started chasing those pointy nosed fish we used 2000 size charter specials with 8 or 10kg, or another option is you can use baitrunner type spin reel with same size line, baitrunner because you can have a very light drag on your reel without having to disengage the bail arm for when a fish grabs your bait
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
tubsy

Post by tubsy »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I will revise my reel choice down to a Shimano Tyrnos 20 and an 8-10kg rod. The Tyrnos can hold about 600m of 10kg line and is capable of about 15kg drag pressure at sunset, so can step up to 15kg line class if the situation requires. I am thinking that I'll start out with just lures at this stage and see how that goes. Then move into switch baiting.

Tubsy.
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by MattyA »

If you're looking for teasers I was just at frenchy's and he showed me some daisy chains he had made up. They would be priced somewhere around $75 he just hadn't had a chance to price them up yet.

Cheers

Matt
tubsy

Post by tubsy »

MattyA wrote:If you're looking for teasers I was just at frenchy's and he showed me some daisy chains he had made up. They would be priced somewhere around $75 he just hadn't had a chance to price them up yet.

Cheers

Matt
Thanks Matt,

I'll be home in a couple of weeks, so I'll go in and have a look when I get back.

Tubsy.