Plenty of Sailfish action at Dundee over the last three days

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Plenty of Sailfish action at Dundee over the last three

Post by Matt Flynn »

Has anyone got data on what were the good sail years out there? To firm up what years were 'big' would be a starting point to look at other factors, eg Wets, or rain fallen in local rivers.

Re eating sails, they aren't as nice as marlin (insert Hannibal Lecter lip smacking).

Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

I recon my Indig Mob wouldn't mind a feed of Sailfish, might see if we can snare one on the next heaps for the BBB. I am told Gar fish taste sweet, same family aren't they?
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

Remember a few years back a family of the brothers all flew to Darwin from Groote I think with ciguetera from dining on Sailfish....
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

With all these little sails hanging around has anyone had a crak at em with a fly rod ?

As for eating sails we had one die on us a few years back and it had flesh like a tuna, tasted sort of similar but not as good(could also be due to the fact that we didnt bleed it).
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

KP NT,
Had the fly rods out over the last couple of trips but never had any hang around long enough to have a shot at them. These fish aren't following the teaser to the boat....they are VERY skittish and only come up for a couple of seconds before they are gone again. I reckon that is because they are a bit small at the moment...

A couple of years ago the bigger fish would follow the teaser right up to the exhaust pipe....not this year.....yet.
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Yes when I looked in the good to eat fishing book, Sails were only rated at a number 2. We dropped one today north of Bowral, saw a few around and had a few more runs.
Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bellfish »

so apparently there was a bloke who caught a small sail at mandorah earlier this week that was mentioned to me bye a jetty rat mate who lives over there he said there was also a lot of tuna and mackerel working herring schools has anyone ever seen or heard of sails coming this close or into the harbour before ?
Nick.P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nick.P »

Bellfish wrote:so apparently there was a bloke who caught a small sail at mandorah earlier this week that was mentioned to me bye a jetty rat mate who lives over there he said there was also a lot of tuna and mackerel working herring schools has anyone ever seen or heard of sails coming this close or into the harbour before ?
Heard from a friend that his mate got one there a few years back, not sure on the reliability tho.
says they have a pic but I'm yet to see it, I'll see if i can dig one up (if they did catch one that is)
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Bellfish wrote:so apparently there was a bloke who caught a small sail at mandorah earlier this week that was mentioned to me bye a jetty rat mate who lives over there he said there was also a lot of tuna and mackerel working herring schools has anyone ever seen or heard of sails coming this close or into the harbour before ?
did this blokes name have sum thing in common with a camera and a fish, if so i herd it was a 200kg marlin ???
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

They been seen around the 6 mile boy Phil hall raises plenty of billies close to Darwin around Fenton !
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

And plenty at Lee Point.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Could of sworn I saw one free jumping just outside the Harbour a couple of years back, (the last cracker of a season so three years ago?) so no reason why not especially if there is good bait and clear water in close. Barred creek near Broome is a good example of Sails in close and the top of Fraser is a prime example of shallow water Blacks within 100m of the beach.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.