Put your engine cover on properly or pay the price

garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Put your engine cover on properly or pay the price

Post by garrynt »

Pulled off my engine cover to add oil to my 50 yamaha heto 2 stroke while 60km from launch site.
When putting it back on improperly I managed to catch 2 of the spark plug leads & rip the leads out.
No big deal, I had the tools ( FOR A CHANGE) & a electrical kit to add clips etc to afix the lead to the spark plug. (you can see my handywork as red bits)
coilpack_yamaha.jpg
It was then I noted that the wire in the lead was ripped at the other end, coming out of a cylinder that was affixed to the engine. (Coil??)
Not looking very much like handywork in the photo after 8 hours hard labour.
sparkplugs coil.jpg
I have since read that what I need is a Yamaha TD T-132 coil pack.

Is this replacement something you would attempt at home or get it in to a workshop?
And is it common to purchase?

This engine just did 60km on 2 cylinders up the Roper River against the tide maxing at 31K Revs & @ 8-10 km/hr. (If only it would of got up on a plane...)

The worst part is, it could of all been avoided if I'd just taken the vinyl cover off & opened the filler access cap in the cover instead. http://fishingterritory.com/posting.php ... 301a62c0cd#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Put your engine cover on properly or pay the price

Post by justin »

Ya got home so it's all good really.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

totally agree with justin,you got back to home safe.Could have been a lot worse.....lol
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Mate another adventure that ended OK

Gotta luv life

.cbeers Craig
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Thats neaterthan my at home with a ton of tools jobs (well would be according to the ex if she saw those pics)

I tjink you can do the coil pack yourself i did it once on a honda 50. Byron just told me, dont touch the exciter! That made me nervous so i just didnt touch myself while I worked

Chris
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

Gazza :)
Mudic
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mudic »

gazzynt, I have 3 of these from a 1999 Yamaha 50 laying around.... Pretty sure they will fit, you can have them if you want.

Cheers Michael
Mudic
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Post by garrynt »

Thanks Mudic, I may take you up on it.

We tracked down some sparkplug cable (no shops in town had it, but they oversold 16metres to a bloke last year so gave us his number)(he was happy to offload some)
Replaced the cable last night, just need to silicone or glue it (like the original) & get it into the river to test later this week.

What I did was not rocket science, & in hindsight there was probably no reason for me not to of had a workaround out in the boat at the time.

For those wondering.... the sparkplug end has a fixed screw that you keep twisting into the wire part of the cable (like a corkscrew into a cork)
The other end has a 20mm needle and you just poke the cable into that (getting the centre wires to connect to pin & screw)

It seems simple but a test run will determine it.
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Post by garrynt »

Tested boiat today in Katherine river & got up to 55K revs, better that the 31K I was getting last week.

Just remember if you rip your sparkplug leads out, you need to spend the time & you WILL be able to fix them out in the water.