Home made teasers

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
jimmysando
Silver Member
Silver Member

Home made teasers

Post by jimmysando »

I had a crack at making a few teasers out of floats rubber squid and few other things for varying results.

Post up a few pics of your home made teasers. Have they raised fish?

john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Home made teasers

Post by john d »

I got a pink bird and added a few pink and fluro rubber squids to the back of it.
Cost less than $40
Works great except the last squid gets bitten of quite often.
I have now added an old lure with no bib to the back but that got taken last week.
As long as it makes a splash it should work.
How far back do most people use there teasers mine is about 15 or so meters back
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

Last edited by stormboy on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

G'day Stormboy

I trawl for macs a bit of Dundee but only started thinking of targeting sails since reading some great post recently on here.

I went to Bcf and they have a massive selection but i have no idea where to start.

Do you mind posting some photos of what you are trawling as per your post.

Thanks
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

balou wrote:G'day Stormboy

I trawl for macs a bit of Dundee but only started thinking of targeting sails since reading some great post recently on here.

I went to Bcf and they have a massive selection but i have no idea where to start.

Do you mind posting some photos of what you are trawling as per your post.

Thanks
Yep no worries, I'll do that shortly balou.
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

Ok here goes, hopefully I'll explain it simply.

Outriggers:
either purchase some and fit them to your boat or do what I did for years and use broom handles with an eye screwed into the end and attach them to boat or in rod holders. A rule to remember when bill fishing is, you don't need to have all expensive gear or look good to catch billies.

Teaser line:
when I first started I just used that clothes line, the wire inside of the green coating and that used to attach to the front bird. From the bird to the last skirted lure I used 135lb wire. Now I just use 600lb mono from the outrigger to last skirt. The day I caught 22 sails at Dundee I used the cheap first method.

Set up:
One side I have either a yellow or red/white wooden bird, followed by 5 pink squid (6-8 inch ones), then a purple/pink skirted lure with hook if you like.
Other side I have a pink bird, followed by 5 pink squid (6-8 inch ones), then a black/purple skirted lure with hook if you like.
Have a gap of 1.5 squid between each componentl front to back. To hold squid in place crimp a small bean sinker on the main line to stop squid falling to the back

How far back:
One side the bird(front) should be 10m from the back of the boat and other side about 12m back.
Have a rod either side of your boat trolling a mullet or garfish at about the second or squid back, if you see a sail or marlin sniffing around the back of the last skirt let a bit of line go until it's out the back. In the middle I like to tow an 8 m red/white lure for mackies, keep it short.

Line/gear on rods:
20lb mono, 100lb leader. You will need Dacron,small sinkers for rigging baits(easier to look on YouTube) and I use 7/0 circle hooks- very important to use inline circle hooks, don't get offset as when your trolling the baits the jump around all over the place instead of swimming.

Catching one:
Ok you see a sail out the back of the teaser, let line go until your bait swims behind the skirt, always watch like a hawk, the sail will quite often tap it with their beak first before they eat it, if this happens(and even if your not quite sure if it did) undo bail, lift your rod up high, count to 10, then flick the bail over and you're on!!!! Now yell at the decky to get teasers in the boat and spare rods wound up.

You can buy:
Squid, skirts, 600lb & 20lb mono, 100lb leader, bait needle,Dacron & birds from wellsystackle.com.au for about 50% of the price in Darwin and it will be on your doorstep in 2 days. They even have pre made teasers and can make to your liking also. You don't need to pay a fortune,keep it simple,this method works brilliant for me and I was given this advice by a pro billfisher.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367054923.476276.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367054946.110873.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367054978.966544.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367055014.677356.jpg
Hope this helps and if u have anymore questions feel free to ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deano
Seadog
Seadog

Post by deano »

Good info for tards like me stormboy... Cheers
deano
Seadog
Seadog

Post by deano »

Good info for tards like me stormboy... Cheers
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Brilliant thank you ...

I'm keen to get something together before the next set of neaps at Dundee.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Cut up a pool noodle into 15cm peices and string it along a rope about 30cm apart. Works a treat :mrgreen: U don't need all that fancy cr.p and I didn't even need to draw up a plan for it .
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

While pool noodles, beer cans and blocks of wood do work, you won't get the quantity and it's far better off and more consistent to have something that resembles bait/fish.
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

Nice looking teasers stormboy, but i dont agree with having hooks on the end of your teasers. It seems a bit silly because if you hook a fish on it you'll have nearly a kilo of gear hanging of the front of your hook, and not to mention it is also pretty unsporting hooking a billie on teaser lines (just not cricket if you ask me)
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

Kp NT wrote:Nice looking teasers stormboy, but i dont agree with having hooks on the end of your teasers. It seems a bit silly because if you hook a fish on it you'll have nearly a kilo of gear hanging of the front of your hook, and not to mention it is also pretty unsporting hooking a billie on teaser lines (just not cricket if you ask me)
I guess that's why I said "hook if u like". Personally I don't use them, as u probably saw from my teasers but know of plenty of people that do.