New outriggers pay off

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New outriggers pay off

Post by trevor schultz »

gday everyone

well lashed out and got some new riggers for the boat went the reelax T-topper bases with 4.5m poles got all the gear to rig them from a local shop worked out heaps cheaper then the ready made rigging kits.

installed the riggers the night before we were heading to dundee nothing like cutting it fine but everything went smoothly still not much fun drilling holes in boats but.

Got out to Dundee sat morning by 7am with a couple mates slipped the boat in with help from old mate on the tractor and flew out to sail city got there in record time only took about 40min nice and calm all day sat. Put out the teasers and a good spread of swim baits skip baits and a small williamson pusher on the shotgun didnt take long before we raised out first sail fish around 9:30 hooked a few and dropped them all the fish were really small didnt bother to much with numbers as the spread was being smashed by several fish at a time, ended up with the first one in the boat by 10ish and a second one by 10:30 had a bit of a quiet spell but got another one at 1:00 heaps to keep you interested through the day with double hook ups of spaniards (bastards smashing the baits) double hook ups of solid queenies and right at the end of the day we had four rods all start screaming the boys grabbed a rod each while i pulled in the teasers and tried to keep the boats straight a mate dropped his fish so grabbbed the third rod all yelling at me to grab the fourth by the time i got round to it it had been spooled i thought it was hilarious since it wasnt my reel anyway got two nice longtails in the boat and assume the other two were also longtails kept one great eating i reckon.
after that we pulled the pin and headed back to the lodge for the night.

The next day the boys went home and i took out the missus and the oldman for a day of trolling the weather sunday wasnt any where near as good and the lightning was everywhere not reall fun with 4.5m poles in the air. Didnt quite get to sail city as a big storm was hanging over the top of it so we just trolled around it turned out ok with us hooking and me losing 6 sailfish by lunch just kept stuffing things up the worst was i accidently free spooled a reel to let him swallow the bait but he took off at a million miles an hour an gave me a hell of a birds nest then the line pulled up tight and ping he was gone watched this fish jump around the boat for the next couple minutes just rubbing it in.
caught a heap of spaiards which kept the old boy happy and then right at the end of the day he landed a nice sail fish which ended a great weekends fishing. whith the new riggers doing a top job.

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New outriggers pay off

Post by Ben Jam »

Cracking trip, cheers for the report.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Very nice! Things seem to be looking up on the Billie front.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Nice fish
Well done
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

Great job guys we going up this weekend coming hope they are stil there
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

Be good there other boat fishing we will be in big blue yellow fin called BITE TIME
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Great trip!! Isn't it early for all these fish to be around???
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Nice work mate
CCO625
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CCO625 »

Well done Trev and crew, hoping that the weather is good for next weekends neaps. Anyone got a report on how the Dundee Rd. is holding up following the rain and Easter traffic?
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

bl..dy marvelous! Good on ya :mrgreen:
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Does sound like an early start for
the billfish but a great baptism for the new investment.I would even give it a crack if the action was like you guys struck, top stuff. Even better you were with your old man.
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Thanks for a great report Trev.
Which shop got the outriggers for you
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Well done mate that's a great start !
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Great start to the season...
I love the colours on the fish in the third photo.
I will be out again next weekend hoping to actually catch rather than long distance release :)
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Good one mate