Gove billfish comp

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
slapper
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gove billfish comp

Post by slapper »

Heading off to Gove this weekend to fish the billfish comp up there. Have not caught a billie before and am looking forward to hopefully rectifying this problem. Also looking forward to a few epic battles with the monster GT's and macks that abound in the area. Will give a report on the fishing when I return in a weeks time.

slapper
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by slapper »

The billfish comp in Gove last week was a great success with 30 sails and 4 black marlin tagged and released by 12 boats fishing over 4 days. Over 100 sails and 12 marlin were raised by competitors during the comp proving that there are indeed rich billfish grounds just off Gove. Most fish were caught around Cape Wilberforce. I fished with some mates from Darwin and we had a great time tagging 6 sails for the trip including my first 2 ever. The biggest marlin tagged weighed in at around 80 kilos although there were some much larger marlin lost around 150-200 kilos in weight using live tuna! I have attached a pic of my first sailfish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

Gotta be stoked to get your first billie! Can't wait to catch my first. Gotta fish the billfish shootout off Dampier next year I reckon...

Did you tangle with any GT's?
slapper
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by slapper »

Yes Jay. Caught many GT's on popper to around 12 kilos as well as queenies, macks and coral trout. Gove is trully a sportfishing paradise and I will certainly return to have a fish again next year.
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

I might start booking for 2008 ;))
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Nice sail Slapper :mrgreen: , I just got off the phone from a very excited :grin: :grin: :grin: mate who just got back from Bathurst Trench where they raised and hooked up on an estimated 12 ft/600 lb marlin. I say estimated as there are no photo's and the closest it got to the boat was about 40 m, they had it on for 40 minutes or so and spat the hook. So I guess we're never gunna know :(
Nevertheless, he's one happy chappy :grin: for just hooking up on a billie that size. :fishing:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Great fish slapper - thats the end of some hard work no doubt - well done.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Top Effort Slapper :clap: :applause:
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
Fishhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishhead »

hey Blinky, do you know what they hooked the Marlin on?
luv ya work slapper :mrgreen:
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

All I know it was a lure with a skirt.......... your guess is as good as mine.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

..................................................................................................................... :fishy:
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

Top stuff slapper thats awesome! 8-) 8-) 8-) I fished gove a long time ago but have cloudy memories, im headed over there after the wet for 2 months work so im gonna tow my 4.3. Any tips would be appreciated those big trout and queenies sound like fun!!! Billfish probly out of my league :cry: :cheers:
Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

back-cast wrote:..................................................................................................................... :fishy:
What's up with this pointless cr.p?
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

wicked lines

Post by back-cast »

..................................................................................... :fishy:
........................................................................ :birdie:
...................................................... :angel:
................................... :moon: :moon:

......................................................................................... :rofl: :lolpoint:

................................LOOK cr.p everywhere....................... 8-) :moon: