Extreme fishing

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Extreme fishing

Post by Matt Flynn »

Extreme fishing is catching on across the world.
There are blokes out there catching sharks from surfboards. Apparently the ultimate buzz is to be towed out to sea by "jaws". :bonk:
Other extreme anglers like to tangle with 3m, 150kg sturgeons while floating on a small rubber inner-tube.
There are extreme anglers who reach almost innaccessible trout and salmon water by surfing rapids on small hi-tech rafts, with their fly fishing gear packed in waterproof tubes.
Another example of extreme fishing is noodling - catching giant USA Powertail by wiggling your fingers near a log and then grabbing the Powertail by the jaw.
Noodlers occasionally disappear without trace. That's fairly extreme. :shock:
I do not know of any extreme angling styles in the NT, probably because fishing here is extreme enough.
The heat and crocodiles, plus mosquitoes and sandflies, are all the challenge most anglers needed.
Then there are the box jellyfish tentacles that stick to fishing lines and anchor ropes each wet season. Touch one of those little tentacles and the air fills with extreme language.
The Top End's many sea anglers have to unhook two or three snapping sharks every trip. And sometimes many more than that. :?
But we take this in our stride - the word extreme has never been mentioned.

Still it's interesting reading about extreme fishing - for more on noodling, check this http://www.johnsjottings.com/archives/2 ... dling.html
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

ha ha, "Noodlers often disappear without a trace" gave me a good laugh. I don't think the inner tube thing is really gonna take off in the top end. Imagine taking ya inner tube out to Shady Camp for some fishing, I reckon it wouldn't be long before ya met the same fate as the disappearing Noodlers.