little sail at the city

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

little sail at the city

Post by Nogood »

with a mates boat ready to be picked up rafter having the motor rebuilt and having a run in of 20 hrs what better way then go billfishing
so a plan was made to hit dundee for a crack we pull into dundee at 630 saturday morning and some gear ready as we waited for to tractor to back us in
the plan was to had out to long lost for look the water was not much chop not much bait at all so we went to the city as we put the gear out and didn't take long the find bait we worked the area for about 2hrs for zip at about 2pm the long rigger dropped with a marlin jumping out the back had the fish on for all of 5min then spat the hook marlin about 80/100kg not a happy camper but thats fishing
saturday straight back out to the city found bait raised sail 1 at 9am then the nexted two at 11am the nexted two at 2pm witch we got one the smallest sailfish I have ever seen all of about 3kg just a wee bit smaller then the ones we have got at groote(25/30kg) then raised the last one about 3pm witch was aboat 20kg also got macs and tuna bait and lure recking pr..ks

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: little sail at the city

Post by jeffish »

sounds like a blooody good effort there,,I,ve done about 30 hrs out that way last year for 0-0-0 ... :mrgreen: good job ,,,you get any pics
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

I hope this works
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

This mite work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

First one worked mate well done that is a small sail makes our 5 kg marlin look reasonable :) :)
What was the bait larger type sardines or small white bait ??
bl..dy good effort let us know when ya heading out again if this wet holds off might be worth while dusting off the teasers for a quick lap !
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Top effort Nogood. Doesn't matter about the size......my first billfish on fly was not much bigger....... felt like taking it home and putting it in the fish tank.

I am in the process of dusting off the teasers and getting the outriggers sorted out for this season. Alas, I think the monsoon might put a hold on that idea for a while.

Interesting note, I have studied the maps from late 70's to early 80's when the long line fishing was going on. The Taiwanese had to register every billfish that they caught on their lines and believe it or not, Feb was the most prolific catch rate. AFANT has the maps if anyone is interested in having a look. There also seems to be a huge amount of billfish caught off Millingimbi this time of the year. Didn't seem to be much history from offshore Darwin or Dundee but this can be attributed to the long liners staying clear of the more popular areas.

See you on the water

Warren
Ch 72
Callsiign ZedeX
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

Doug there was sardines and white bait we were thinking of going this weekend but I don't think that going to come off now

Swoffa I was in Millingimbi for work last week and I was thinking to my self there as to be billfish here for shaw looking out the window of the plane it look great bit hard to get to but