Personal best trout

They aren't barramundi, but there's something great about the speckled fish ...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Personal best trout

Post by Matt Flynn »

I'm putting up a FISH FINDER TM Satellite DVD prize and How to Catch Barramundi DVD up for best picture of a personal best trout ... need five entries and I'll make the draw.

shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

I have a picture of a 5 kilo Atlantic Salmon that I caught down there, does that count Matt?
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Salmonoid schmalmonoid :fishing: , great wall, big fence. Close enough...........give us a gander! :bonk:

I have a couple of some 18" steelhead I caught at Tongariro (sp) in NZ a lot of years ago, way, way before digitals, I'll see if I can dig them out of the attic and scan 'em. Don't hold your breath, termites have probably scoffed them. :cry:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Gotta love Tongariro Blinky!
I have no digital shots of trout. Need to scan some I think. I got a 5.6kg Brown out of Melbournes drinking water in 2000 :fishy: . Luckily someone cut a hole in the huge barbed wire fences surrounding it,so I could get in :wink:
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Yep TOP spot Jonesy.

We used to sneak into Warragamba and pull trophy 'Bows out during winter runs, same for the rangers lake at Jenolan Caves, sneak in during the dead of night and thieve his monster brownies.
We gave the Suicide Hole on Eucumbene River a fearful going over during the winter also.

Great fun when you're kid and just couldn't give a rats about gettin' caught.
Those were the days. :cry:
Blinky

jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

I had a friend from Uni who lived at Turangi right on the banks of the Tongariro.So that was good cheap accomadation :grin: . She's moved to Auckland now though unfortunatly. I'd love to go back.

The Eucumbene river. I remember when I was little dad used to drag me along out there and he'd sit me on hole by myself in the middle of no where in snake infested country,whilst he walked kms and kms fly fishing. I couldn't use a fly rod then so I cast lures.Never caught much. One day I cheated and put a hook on and a hopper.Caught a 4lb brown,hooked up the bum.You might say it was an arsy catch :jester:
shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

Well here is my Salmon it is a photo of a photo so its a bit rough. Caught this when I had a sickie from work. It went hard on 3 kilo line and tasted nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Nice salmon Shauno, where did it come from?
Blinky

shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

It came from the Pet Dam in Tassie Blinky. Tasmanian fisheries release a 100 of these fish each year into a couple of selected waterways (they used to anyway and probably still do??). Thats why I had to take the sicky I just had to get up there and have a crack at them.
PeterT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PeterT »

This one came from the spillway at Hume in about 1987. Went 9lb or just on 5kg. I had it mounted because it was the fattest trout I or anyone else had seen. It was like a football. By length and head size it normally would have been a 5lber at best, but the diet that these trout lived on was redfin that had been stunned coming through the turbines. Heaps of tucker and no work to get it.

I have caught bigger browns at Hume and have busted the magic 10lb mark there. However, it was not uncommon for fish in the 18lb to 20lb mark to be landed. I know a bloke who pulled a 12lb Rainbow from the same place and that is some Rainbow.

Today there are not so many big trout, you are more likely to catch a monster carp, yes on a lure. But there are some monster Yellow belly there now since the emphasis on fish stocking has shifted from trout to natives. Yellas of 18lb are now on the target list.

pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

trout

Post by Matt Flynn »

How did you catch the trout Peter?
PeterT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PeterT »

Nothing romantic like a Hairs ear or Whirling Dunn, Lead fish and Mountain duck feathers worked down the current.

Best fly caught was a 9lb Brown on a Tiahape Tickler in the pouring rain on a cold July night in Khancoban.

pete
skunk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by skunk »

That's my best trout, near Te Anau, NZ, Dec 2006....my honeymoon-turned-fishing-trip hehehehe

my new wife's best shot.
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

........nice looking fish skunk, did you catch them on fly ??
good fish , good pic's
...............................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................
skunk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by skunk »

back-cast wrote:........nice looking fish skunk, did you catch them on fly ??
good fish , good pic's
nope, i don't do fly-fishing...got them on a weird kite-shaped lure i've never seen here in Singapore before....oh well, i guess you learn something every time you go fishing elsewhere :)