Reef fish stocks - some graphs

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Reef fish stocks - some graphs

Post by Matt Flynn »

Fisheries has released information on the state of NT reef fish stocks.

A fisheries spokesman said this fact sheet is a prelude to a discussion paper that will be launched soon.

Coastal Reef Fish – what’s the problem? - http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Fisheries/Conten ... f_fish.pdf

Territory_Tuff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Reef fish stocks - some graphs

Post by Territory_Tuff »

wow peole might need to throw back more goldies
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

Guess it kind of puts a plug in those blaming commercial operators for everything.
Territory_Tuff wrote:wow peole might need to throw back more goldies
I think only If they're catching them in 5m of water, once you have your quota or dinner they say to move and target stuff more likely to live through catch and release.

I'm surprised to see FTO's releasing so many jew and snapper, do they target them for catch and release?

Bring on the limits (numbers, not size!!).
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

passenger279 wrote:Guess it kind of puts a plug in those blaming commercial operators for everything.
I think only If they're catching them in 5m of water, once you have your quota or dinner they say to move and target stuff more likely to live through catch and release.

I'm surprised to see FTO's releasing so many jew and snapper, do they target them for catch and release?

I only partly looked at it cos was on me phone
But it doesn't prove much at all !!
It says fish numbers are down but I can't see how they can say that is through amateur fisherman !!
How many people on this forum were asked to help with the survey or filled out some paper work stating numbers caught and there's 3000 odd on here now !
How many of the pros were asked to help with the survey and had the quantities counted ??
It may say numbers are down but good luck thinking amateur regulations will solve or even help with fish numbers !
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

DOUG wrote:
passenger279 wrote:Guess it kind of puts a plug in those blaming commercial operators for everything.

I only partly looked at it cos was on me phone
But it doesn't prove much at all !!
It says fish numbers are down but I can't see how they can say that is through amateur fisherman !!
How many people on this forum were asked to help with the survey or filled out some paper work stating
numbers caught and there's 3000 odd on here now !
How many of the pros were asked to help with the survey and had the quantities counted ??
It may say numbers are down but good luck thinking amateur regulations will solve or even help with fish numbers !
I agree Doug, I doubt the commercial sector would report the truth knowing full well there industry about to go belly up. Graphs are only good if you have good soild data.

So going back to Doug's question, how many people on here helped with the research to get amateurs figures? No one came out on the last topic so I'm assuming not many?

I'm not saying I don't believe that fish stocks are down, just saying there are floors in any research and I dont think amateurs were part of the research to level it should be.

I maybe wrong, but to say amateurs take more then commercial, please I find that very hard to believe :roll:
----------------------------
-----------------------------
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

BE AWARE

Same type of stuff seen years ago in Sydney before Closures Came in. Shinny graphs and heaps spent on colourful brochures all over fishing tackle shops and handed out at boat ramps by people that never fished a day in life and hired by PR company.

Closures will come 6 months after this being released as thats how they justify the closures the graphs the graphs the graphs dont lie

Seen it all before
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

I was surveyed on a few different days at Nightcliff ramp 3 months or so ago. Think the guys where there surveying for a couple of weeks.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

I helped fisheries with goldy research.

I try and volunteer for most research they conduct from goldys to mudcrabs and hopefully more in the pipe line
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Don't get me wrong I'm all for helping out te fishing industry and getting the fish stocks stabilised rather than declining..
But Start at the right end of the scale not the small man
I been watching heaps of shows on discovery channel lately and it's crazy how much money is and has been invested in farming and getting fish stocks back upto a reasonable standard obviously the Northern Territory cannot compare to some of these countries but its an eye opener that's for sure
Closed areas is the only way I can see it close certain areas during peak spawning seasons
Limits will only make people throw back dead fish on any fish that is a sufferer of barratrauma !
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

passenger279 wrote:I was surveyed on a few different days at Nightcliff ramp 3 months or so ago. Think the guys where there surveying for a couple of weeks.
Christ how many goldys did you tell tell them you had.

Intetstate doug home to help on sunday stick with it
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

"90,000 by recs and less than 5,000 by pros"
I don't deny they are in some extent of decline,
though I find those figures somewhat difficult to swallow.

Be interesting to go over the raw research data and methodologies!
Fables
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Fables »

All the pro catch data is taken straight from the log books that all professional fishers have to complete and submit to fisheries (and it suggests this in the document). Log books are audited and fisheries observers are randomly placed on boats while they are fishing to verify that the actual catches match the records (and to see if there are any major discrepancies from previous logs). If there is any 'fudging' of numbers by the pro's it is more likely to be to hide bycatch than legitimate food fish. I don't think there is any reason to doubt the figures that they are reporting for the pro fishers catch.

Whilst I agree that the recreational fishing numbers are surprising, and I agree that it would be interesting to see the methodology - I still doubt that Fisheries produced these numbers without thorough consideration. Fisheries do conduct fairly frequent surveys at boat ramps (I have been surveyed...), and there are accurate methods of estimating total catch through surveys (just like accurate measures are made through TV ratings surveys and galaxy polls for political ratings etc...)

It would be interesting if we ran a poll up here on how many Goldies each FFF member catches per year.

Fables.
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

If you blokes seriously can't get your head around goldie numbers in the harbour dropping then we have no hope. Half day charters hammer them 365. Rec fishos also hammer the harbour every weekend, they are a slow growing species and its been happening for 100 years in the harbour. If you need it "proven" to you through stats and research you approve of then it's likely you'll never be convinced. If you think about how hard the harbour gets fished you shouldn't need scientists to tell you
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

AM wrote:
passenger279 wrote:I was surveyed on a few different days at Nightcliff ramp 3 months or so ago. Think the guys where there surveying for a couple of weeks.
Christ how many goldys did you tell tell them you had.
Hahaha, none! They actually got each fish out and measured them. Tuna only, yum :mrgreen:

C'mon blokes! DeNile is not just a river in Egypt!
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

dirtyruiz wrote:If you blokes seriously can't get your head around goldie numbers in the harbour dropping then we have no hope. Half day charters hammer them 365. Rec fishos also hammer the harbour every weekend, they are a slow growing species and its been happening for 100 years in the harbour. If you need it "proven" to you through stats and research you approve of then it's likely you'll never be convinced. If you think about how hard the harbour gets fished you shouldn't need scientists to tell you

I agree with you mate

Why are people so sceptical on the data shown by fisheries ???

There doing this to help all of us in the long term