Are Darwin snapper and jewfish stocks down?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Are Darwin snapper and jewfish stocks down?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 67

fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Are Darwin snapper and jewfish stocks down?

Post by fishfanatic »

GOD forbid the question of fishing licenses has come up again.. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
There are better ways to manage a fishery than funding an incompetent government whether this be Labor or CLP.

Shaggs you keep mentioning the export fishery market?
To be honest I have not heard any statistics from anyone and am interested in hearing more. How much export fish is taken in NT waters every year etc?
Which areas are being exploited? Fish species?

'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

fishfanatic wrote:GOD forbid the question of fishing licenses has come up again.. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
There are better ways to manage a fishery than funding an incompetent government whether this be Labor or CLP.

Shaggs you keep mentioning the export fishery market?
To be honest I have not heard any statistics from anyone and am interested in hearing more. How much export fish is taken in NT waters every year etc?
Which areas are being exploited? Fish species?
A lot of NT jew get trunked and head to the U.S, can't remember what they are re-badged as.....
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Not many fish get exported from Darwin all would be shipped to other states first..
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Mud wrote:Wow.
Seriously lads I respect your views but its hard to get the logic. The equation is simple...reduce the take or go the way of every other state and fish barren waters.. Regardless of how important fishing for food is to you if we don't reduce the numbers being taken.......there isn't going to be any!! It's like listening to one of those old guys complaining that there are no fish anymore "what the hell? Where have all the fish gone? In my day we'd come out here n get a hundred in a day! Now they're all gone! What the hell happened to em?"

Fully agree, hope common sense prevails in finding a solution.

Blaming the pros for the decline in fish stocks and doing nothing ourselves is not going to work. Both parties are to blame.

Some pro methods of catching fish are questionable: fish traps, drift netting, spotter planes and purse seining, gillnets, trawlers, longlining, and all the by catch these methods produce. If they were limited to the gear and methods we are allowed to use then there would be more balance in the impact they have.

But amateur fishermen also have an impact, especially in the close in areas, can't really blame the pros here as their efforts are further afield. Catch and release may be the way until stocks climb back up.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

DOUG wrote:i dont know to many areas you can catch quality snapper around darwin in shallow water maybe 80km either side of darwin
and the whole thought of releaseing fish may make the angler feel better about them selves but achieves nothing to keeping fish stocks healthy IMO
i agree with releasing reef fish being almost a waist of time. I now exclusivly use gulps to only catch majority good size eating fish. Same can be done by using bigger hooks and baits. Once I got what I need I chase hardier species that can be released.
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

shaggs wrote:
mako wrote:If you fish of the warf you still have to put in the time, so if you go to work instead you will earn more than enough to buy more than one barra.

If you know how to spike a fish properly(behind the pectoral fin) they will survive.

Seasonal closures to protect spawning aggregations would also be of benefit.
Seasonal closers would be good as long as they were imposed on the pros as well

South Australia has a seasonal closure on commercial snapper fishing , there was talk of extending it this year
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

They are but spokesperson for the people OR THEY SUPPOSE TO BE
This is a democracy isn't it?

The Government is there to push it's own barrow ,and to carry out the wishes of a select few .

Democracy ?
Q .What's democratic about this country ?
A . You have the right to vote , that's about it. But you don't have the right not to vote.
All other rights are at the Governments' privilege and can be withdrawn at any time by the Government.
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

sorry double post
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Well I did my bit yesterday. Went out to a harbour reef and caught ZERO fish. Saarge on the other hand raped the harbour of three awesome goldies. I agreed to eat one to make him feel better and I will choke on every horrible mouthful wondering when I can get back out there and catch none again.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Saarge got his sounder working again then?
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Sorry, double post
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

yeah works great now
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

Yep - sarrge DID get his sounder working again - and strangely, the planets aligned and the gods smiled and i managed 3 good sized goldies.

Mud on the other hand, couldn't buy a bite despite getting so close with his lines that he resorted to wrapping it around mine.

No "Dinks" though - he has a new reel loaded with whipper snipper cord.........

:)
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

:lol: :rofl: Gold !!.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Toxic
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Toxic »

Its not just the "By-Catch" that gets taken, I've had mates on trawlers say that if they run out of room for prawns then everything else goes back in. Trout, emporer, snapper, jew etc. It was enough to make a good mate of mine quit the industry. We are talking multiple tons of fish, not to mention smashing the reef to pieces.
Now how many people out there can catch 5000 + Tons of fish a year out of one boat????