A while between fish

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

A while between fish

Post by Kp NT »

Well i fished the NRSFC's John Jones billfish comp on the weekend, conditions were pretty bar over the weekend with 20 knot winds gusting to 30 on saturday with seas to 2m, we saw nothing on the first day but sunday had better conditions only blowing 10 knots and by 6:30 we were marking lots of bait on the sounder, i was still setting up the baits when we saw showers of bait 100m back from the boat i then get back to setting baits when i see a saily having a chew on the bait im feeding out so i just let him take it but he decided he didnt want that bait and switched over to the gar out the back and before i can grab the rod my dad get on it and freespools it,.after so many times thinking its been long enough after 15secs and cranking the drag and pulling the hook out of its mouth, dad lets the bait go for a while and sets the drag and it comes up tight and we were on. And ten minutes later we had the sail tagged and beside the boat.

I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: A while between fish

Post by DOUG »

Nice work
What was the numbers like ??
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

Numbers were pretty low i think overall 4 fish were taged , on the sunday one boat saw 8 fish and only got one of them , but its not surprisng considering how bad conditions were

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

yeah it makes it hard thats for sure !!
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Great pics and good to see a sail with a couple of tags in her. Proof tag and release works and that they still hunt similar waters
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Don't think there tags !! Hope not anyways not in the gills :)
Maybe bit of the pink skirt of the lure or something on lens of camera ..
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

yeah doug it was the skirt hanging out the gills, it definitely wanted that gar as it inhaled it pretty quickly ha ha , and as to sails hunting in similar waters the nrsfc did satelite tagging of sails the other year we found that sails do move around a bit but don't travel the huge distances marlin do.

Maurice Strong