Work in NSW??

Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Work in NSW??

Post by Timbo »

Would anyone happen to know what the marine employment is like in NSW for a coxswain, looking around Newcastle/Lake Macquarie?

Cheers
Timbo

Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Work in NSW??

Post by nomad »

probably not much inside the lake but newcastle harbour is a busy port. worth a try
mnemonix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mnemonix »

Hey Timbo,

Thats where I call home. The MUA has a strong contingency in Newcastle so the local branch would be a great place to touch base and consider transferring your membership if you're already affiliated.

The effects of their presence works both ways. The longer running jobs (ie: svitzer tugs, handling roles on the wharfs) are very hard for an outsider to gain access to, being very much a unionised "old boys club". You need to be a mate of a mate to get work there.

The sites with no strong union presense like the NCIG berths, PWCS T-4 expansion and Newcastle Port Corp have occasional vacancies, but not enough work that would warrant me crossing the country seeking employment.

For a coxwain your options are limited as most working vessels will require at leasted a 5. Your most likely options for work in that class of vessel would be working with support barges for NCIG K11 berth construction, PWCS t-4 construction or crew change assistance for the dredging fleet.

Newcastle Tafe has a strong marine training regime that puts a lot of semi-qualified workers into the local workforce which tends to make job competition fairly fierce.

If you head north out of Newcastle to Nelson Bay you can add a large fleet of commercial fishing and charter vessels.
Lake Macquarie has zero commercial fishing due to a buyback, Newcastle Harbour has a small fleet and their reputation isn't shining.
A few companies to make enquiries with would be:
Newcastle Port Corporation.
Pacific Tugs.
Heron Constructions.
W. Johnson Marine Salvage.
Hunter Allied Dive Services.
HarbourWorks Carrington.
Varley.
Hunter Towage Services.

Hope it gives you some leads. Drop me a PM if you have any queries.
I've gotta ask though, I'm happy to be up here in Paradise. Why the hell would you leave?

-Mark.
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Thanks guys,

Mark - don't really want to leave, just thinking of a sea change. If i can score some more work up here i'd probably stay. Just putting the feelers out. Really want to get my 5, thanks for all the contacts.

Cheers
Timbo
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

i would have thought that with all the projects happening, there would be lots more work up here
mnemonix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mnemonix »

Most of the project work there has flowed on sequentially, so employees finish 1 project and mostly roll straight onto the next.
Some guys have been there for the past 5+ years through 4 projects and have not needed to look for work.
Unfortunately for an outsider, this doesn't offer many fresh opportunities. Especially on the water.