Just moved to Darwin

Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just moved to Darwin

Post by Bennie »

Hey All,

Just thought I would say G'day to all those on the forum. Seems like a great forum with plenty of good reads and info.

I have just moved to Darwin from SA and love it so far.

I have also a little dilemma with my fishing situation at the moment and would like some local advise.

I have a small 3.5m tinny in SA that I thought about getting put on a truck/train up here.

My question is, do you think it's worth getting the tinny up to Darwin, or are there a number of good land based spots where there are still decent fish (barra, Jacks, Trout, etc)

I have come the long way round through QLD fishing of the banks for Barra and Mangrove Jacks, but only managed a couple in a few months of fishing in different locations.

It's gonna be around $1500 to get the tinny up here, I just need to work out if it's worth it or not.

Any advise is welcome.

Cheers,
Bennie

smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Just moved to Darwin

Post by smed »

If you're on extended stay, I'd say yes. Plenty of harbour arms, rivers & billabongs to explore. You could catch $1500 worth of crabs alone in a month or so.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Gday Bennie
IMHO, put the $$ you were going to spend on transport to a bigger boat. 3.5 is ok for small spots but the buildup and wet will soon be on us and its always better to have a bigger boat.
flog the one in SA as well.
you'll never leave here once you get into it.
Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just moved to Darwin

Post by Bennie »

Cheers for the opinions guys.

A mate of mine in Cairns said that during early build up it was a good time to fish, as it's usually flat calm due to it being so bl..dy muggy with no wind. Is Darwin pretty similar? Or was he talking out his arse?

I might be able to get the boat transport covered for no cost, so that may be the difference in the end. At the moment I'll be on a 2 year contract, but may work out to be longer, but it won't take much to tow it home after that as the trailer is pretty good.

I would love to get a bigger boat in the long run, but just can't afford it for a few years. Is there a good spot for boats on the market? Boatsales.com has bugger all.

It's bl..dy hard as I have done a bit to the boat over the last few years and selling it would mean starting over again.
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

You might find the 3.5 is a liittle small for some of the major rivers i.e. Daly and Shady camp, but it would definately be a good start, especially if you can get it here for next to nothing.
Always better to use a boat if you have one, then wish you'd taken it with you.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Your mates right about the buildup....for my money the time for fishing. My thoughts re the boat......sell it.....buy one up here. Not worth the hassle to ship it up. Welcome aboard benny we look forward to your reports.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just moved to Darwin

Post by Bennie »

sharkbait wrote:You might find the 3.5 is a liittle small for some of the major rivers i.e. Daly and Shady camp, but it would definately be a good start, especially if you can get it here for next to nothing.
Always better to use a boat if you have one, then wish you'd taken it with you.
Cheers mate, that's what I was thinking. Get it up here (if I can for nothing) and see how it goes. If its cr.p then I'll upgrade.

It would make a great car topper for those longer trips. I was also thinking about taking it through the Kimberleys next year if I get a chance.
Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just moved to Darwin

Post by Bennie »

Mud wrote:Your mates right about the buildup....for my money the time for fishing. My thoughts re the boat......sell it.....buy one up here. Not worth the hassle to ship it up. Welcome aboard benny we look forward to your reports.
Thanks for the tip about the build up mate. I'm looking forward to catching a few and getting to know the place better.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

most of the crocs are bigger than your boat :croc: Not having a go at you mate but for me just a bit small,,but if you can get it here for nothing ,,why not,,,,and welcome

cheers
jeff
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Nah mate, sell the tinny and buy the big boat now. You can always sleep on a boat but cant always fish from your home :lol: :lol:
Get your priorities right
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

mate i only have a 3.7m tinny with a 15HP on it.
use it nearly every weekend. on the croc infested rivers and billabongs up here.
dont need a big boat if you only going to fish sheltered billabongs and rivers.
Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just moved to Darwin

Post by Bennie »

jeffish wrote:most of the crocs are bigger than your boat :croc: Not having a go at you mate but for me just a bit small,,but if you can get it here for nothing ,,why not,,,,and welcome

cheers
jeff
That's was my main gripe with fishing up here in such a small boat. Although I have seen plenty of big great whites nearly twice the length of my boat, but they don't have legs!
Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just moved to Darwin

Post by Bennie »

nomad wrote:Nah mate, sell the tinny and buy the big boat now. You can always sleep on a boat but cant always fish from your home :lol: :lol:
Get your priorities right
Haha, but will the misuses sleep with me in a boat, or after buying a big boat for that fact. I think not.

Nah I think I'll keep the little boat for now and sound out a few people with bigger boats. I do make a good deck hand.
Xrapper
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Xrapper »

Although I have seen plenty of big great whites nearly twice the length of my boat, but they don't have legs!
Just curious mate as to where you would go in a 3.7m tinny where there are plenty of big whites?

I reckon you should sell the boat and upgrade to something around 4.5m with long range tanks, cast decks, and a reliable 4 stroke engine. You wont regret it.
Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just moved to Darwin

Post by Bennie »

Xrapper wrote:
Although I have seen plenty of big great whites nearly twice the length of my boat, but they don't have legs!
Just curious mate as to where you would go in a 3.7m tinny where there are plenty of big whites?

I reckon you should sell the boat and upgrade to something around 4.5m with long range tanks, cast decks, and a reliable 4 stroke engine. You wont regret it.
Used to fish a lot out of Streaky Bay and Ceduna. The tinny used to get out to some nice bombies which are close enough in on a good day. Place is littered with them though. They are not as bad as people make out, media hypes it all up. They are just curious that's all.

Yeah was thinking around the 4.2m range with a 40 yammy with a cast deck, etc. It would be nice if the funds allow.