ABU - Revo

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

ABU - Revo

Post by ronje »

Hello

Have had a Revo SX for 3 years now.

Have now decided that they are not for me.

Great casting reel and have a drag system heavier than normal.

ABU quality is starting to show through now. Didn't really expect much more than what I got but thought that the durability would be a bit better than what it turned out to be considering the price relative to others sometimes used as yardstick.

Found that very early in the piece the reel started to stick on being changed from cast to retrieve. Handle sticks momentarily until jiggled before retrieve possible.

Reel much noisier now than when new even though oiled regularly.

Green corrosion appearing on metal parts even though only ever used in fresh water and washed after every use. Do that with all gear.

Paint worn off thumb casting lever.

Have had mixture of Shimano and Daiwa reels with some older and used more (some in salt) without similar problems.

ABU Revo is ok providing that you don't have high expectations about durability.

Will give it away rather than run into complaint problems even if sold cheap.

Regards
Ronje
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: ABU - Revo

Post by olfart »

Ronje..had my Revo for some time now and apart from wearing the paint off in the usual places, had none of the problems you describe..gets a fair flogging all year round in salt and fresh..I only ever use '3 in one' multi purpose oil on all my gear and singer sewing machine oil if I run out. I'm a bit anal about cleaning me gear tho. My 6500c3 is over 10 yrs old and still works like new, taken macks,tuna, gt's, and barra, fitted it with carbontex drag last year, and replaced the levelwind pawl at th same time although it really didn't need doing. 3in1 is US made and has strong anti corrosive properties and wont dry out. :mrgreen:
graham.
You can throw your Revo in my direction if you're serious, got a spare Ugly it will sit nicely on. :D
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
goveite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ABU - Revo

Post by goveite »

Sad to hear that youve not had a good run out of your revo ronje, I've been using the inshores for a while now and have been pretty impressed.

Any ideas about what reel you will try next?, I've got a curado E5 which has been a good reel for flicking. Good luck

I'm about to be overrun with rellies in the next two weeks and could use another reel, pm me if you want to get rid of it cheap.
:cheers: