Barra left on beach

Put fishing videos only here, general videos have a another forum below.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Barra left on beach

Post by nomad »

As Ronje says, The bugs are already in the gut and then there are the insects (flies etc. try to blow you while you’re still alive.).
Once any living thing dies, the decomposition process begins and it starts to rot.
Most people that eat pro caught fish aren’t from areas where they can catch their own (ie tourists) and therefore cant compare quality

A similar argument was the norm in the oyster industry until peopel started getting sick (and dying) from 'off' oysters. different i know (filter feeders) but they have to process them very different these days,

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I saw a figure of -17 degrees centigrade at one stage looking thru the regs.

U're right about the fresh fish though.

I'd be interested in knowing what prescribed proximity applies to netters in NT.

There is one in Qld.

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Im not sure about not chilling fish too quick,I done a few trips on a trap boat (Timor box) & they couldnt spike em & get em in the brine quick enough to help extend shelf life :cheers:
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Sorry fellas
My post was directed at nomad who was talking on slaughtering meat
I hold a current game harvesters license and was referring to what we have been taught by the department of primary industries up here when handling meat for human consumption
Sterile was a poor choice of words, lets put it as the chances of contamination are less likely until you put a knife into the meat and the more you handle it the greater the chances of contamination
Having said that ,I still leave my fish to set a bit and bleed out before I put them on ice
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Fair enough Shaggs

What Max says coincides with the freezer requirement of -17 degrees C capability. Its got to have an external accurate temperature gauge graduated in 1 centigrade degree steps also.

The refrigeration requirements are structured around the NT Food Act which in turn is structured around the Code of Practice in the A & NZ Standard for Food Handling and Storage. (Talk about the kneebone is connected to the thighbone stuff!!!!!)

There is also mention of flesh temperature rising slightly after death at times as somebody alluded to earlier.

So now we know about histamine in fish and its effect on shelf life.

Haven't looked at requirements for other flesh which may be completely different. U'd have to be extremely cautious about applying what u've been taught about one particular industry to another though.

I'll ferret out any proximity requirements for netters.

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Sorri fellas
Here's the regulation that relates to storage of fish.

Its -18 not -17 degress (or better).

FISHERIES REGULATIONS - SECT 64
Freezing
64. Freezing

(1) The licensee shall ensure that a freezer in a registered vessel or at a camp site used for freezing and storing fish shall, when being used for those purposes, be maintained at -18°C or below.

(2) A compartment of a freezer referred to in subregulation (1) shall be fitted with a thermometer mounted externally to indicate the internal temperature of the freezing compartment.

(3) A thermometer referred to in subregulation (2) shall be capable of accurate measurement and shall be clearly marked with 1.0°C graduations.

(4) It is a condition of the registration of a vessel to be used for the purposes of a licence that the licensee shall maintain the vessel in accordance with this regulation.

Ronj
Regards
Ronje
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah true shags
I was talking about the methods used in abattoirs where they kill the beast, bleed it, skin it, halve it and chill it all within a few hrs.
then the boning is done well after chilling for days. then freezing

I always bleed my fish for a while before chilling (chill before rig sets in) but there is no way id leave it on the sand for hrs in the sun before chilling.

As I said, once dead, the decomposition process begins..
If you open it up, that allows bacteria to enter the flesh via the wound
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

two sides to the story, the fishermen involved.

FACT there were 6 gill nets 100m long...FACT all fish were alive but 1 blue salmon...FACT 50m of net was exposed no longer than 15mins due to tide going out....FACT two dingys were working the nets...FACT the shark in the footage is not a protected species....FACT the shark in the footage was released alive....FACT we have never netted ANY dugongs ...FACT there is not enough licenced fisherman in NT to cause a threat to stock numbers, research done by the government proves this..stop the slander

bloak's trying to make a living. the sea can sustain certain degree's of fishing pressure and these guys are licensed and have quota's, the government wont hand out enough licenses to put huge pressure on the fish stocks. its not a perfect industry but its controlled

always rember. theirs two sides to a story never jump to conclusions
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi Camfish

This thread is 12 months old. What took u so long?

The concern is about the quality of the product.

The issues aren't whether there's 1 net or 100.

Or whether anybody's caught dugong or sharks or turtles.

Or whether anybody was nearby

etc etc etc.

The rules Fisheries (and others have) relates to public health compromised by receiving tainted product.

All the rules about freezer temperatures, handling etc are process-driven means of trying to ensure that consumers' health is not affected by the histamine levels in the fish.

U fellas are lucky in that the fisheries simply check that that pro fishos have the processes in place. If they're right then the outcome (public health) SHOULD be right.

But that's a typical bureaucrat's way of doing things. Arse about.

Its the OUTCOME that has to be right.

With a nominated level of allowable histamine, the real way to do it is to test the histamine level as the product is delivered to the wholesaler/retailer.

If your product was tested upon delivery and it failed the histasmine test, it would be rejected. Simple as that.

It wouldn't matter how many processes u had, or rules u followed. It's simply rejected.

A couple of loads rejected would quickly get any slack fishos out of their slumber.

Then it wouldn't matter if copters had video footage of fish in nets high and dry in the NT sun. Or any opinions.

As long as the histamine level was ok then its not a problem.

Fishos really are their own worst enemies in the PR stakes.
Regards
Ronje
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Has there been another video posted, one that didnt have all the dead fish that all previous posters seemed to at least basicly accept as expired?? Pretty sure its just a gee up Ron.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi Andy the Handbrake.

Now that I've had a look at some posting history, I think that its good that we accept with tolerance everybody as members of the Lord's flock. Unfortunate ones moreso.

I think he believes it and ya gotta respect somebody's beliefs.
Regards
Ronje
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Maybe this guy holidays at Chambers Bay,where
are all the defenders this time.
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

My main problem with this is the pros have enough knowledge of the areas they fish that they could have avoided the nets ending up high and dry, thereby not having barra and saw sharks die from being out of water.
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Good practice? Good operators? Pffft, give me a break.
It's nothing short of appalling.
I've met a few pro fishers over the years and am yet to meet one I'd p iss on.

Still, there will be some willing to cut them slack.

Even the Taliban has its supporters.
daleywaters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by daleywaters »

What range were the tides? Flat beaches with big tides can expose really quickly; no pro fisho is going to try and sell poor quality product, they'd be out of business quick smart. I recognise the barge and know the owner, he's a good operator who won't - repeat - won't do anything to jeapordise his livelihood. Been doing it for years in various areas in the territory and actually looks after the fishery as he and his wife know full well it has to be sustainable to be worth anything long term. There's normally a couple of dinghy's working the nets also, not the barge which is a mothership. It may look bad but I know it's not. Bet my left nut on it.
Regards,

Dale

Carpe Jugulum!