CALVERT RIVER ANYONE?

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Ian
Silver Member
Silver Member

CALVERT RIVER ANYONE?

Post by Ian »

I was thinking of planning a fishing trip to the Calvert River next year, mainly interested in the tidal area. It means a lot of driving and I really don't know anything about the area. Just hoping for some fishing and crabbing action. Is anyone familiar with the area? Don't want to go that far if its not a resonable chance of having some fishing fun. Any info will be appreciated.

Jim Kane
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jim Kane »

Five of us came back from camping on the Calvert on 30 October.

The road in was through Seven Emu Station. They charge $100 per vehicle per week. Then the track to the river mouth is another 106 km of track with soft boggy sand and numerous creek crossings. Good 4WD vehicles needed.

One of our crew drove the track last year - earlier in the season when the sand was not so dry. He said that the track was much better then.

There were no crabs. Last year he said there were lots.

There are some bush campsites where you can launch boats. Mind the resident 12 ft croc. Best fishing was at and after low tide when temperature of the water was at least 30 deg, in the anabranch of the river on the eastern side.

Fresh water can be collected a fair distance upriver with care to avoid rocks. Water in Big Stinking Lagoon was not drinkable and was murky.

We plan another trip next year. Good fishing.
JVK
Ian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Calvert River.

Post by Ian »

Thanks mate. That's very helpfull. I was under the impression that access was via Pungalina Station, turn off not far from the Wollogarang roadhouse just after you come over the Qld border into NT. Funny thing is Pungalina want to charge $60 per vehicle per day to access the same place and you're meant to meet their conditions. I have seen the track over from 7 Emu's on satelite photos. I wonder whose country the river mouth is actually on?
Ian
Silver Member
Silver Member

calvert river

Post by Ian »

Also I assume you travelled from Mackay. I'm in Clermont. I guess if you're planning a return it must have been OK. It's a fair hike up there. Did you try out of the mouth on the sand? Regards Ian.
Jim Kane
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Jim Kane »

I understand that the land on the western side of the river mouth is owned by Seven Emu. I don't think that Pungalina can give you permission to camp there. Owen at Pungalina is a friendly person.

We thought the track through Seven Emu was bad, but found the track through Pungalina was worse. The sign "You are entering Pungalina" is fairly close to Pungalina homestead, about 10 K I think. Most of that track is probably in Seven Emu.

The track from Seven Emu follows the one we identified on Google Earth.

The tides are erratic, but resemble those at Centre Island NT not Mornington Island.

We travelled in 3 vehicles from Mackay to the Calvert. We fished on the eastern sandspit of the anabranch of the river but the stream was producing good results. After catching our limit of barra, we kept catching more and releasing - a bit of a nuisance really when you want salmon and jew.
JVK
Ian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Calvert River

Post by Ian »

Thanks for sharing your info. I appreciate it. Still a bit hazy on access. All I can see at the moment is the track from the savannah way to Greenbank and then to 7 Emus. I can see the track that goes pretty much east from 7 Emus to the river. It looks like it would be shorter to go in via Pungalina but I think I'll have to get a Hema map and see what tracks are marked. If we go I was going to take one car but from the sounds of it two would be safer. I will get in touch with both stations and see whats the go for access. Regards Ian.