billfishing this weekend whos keen??

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: billfishing this weekend whos keen??

Post by jeffish »

Thanks DOUG I,ve heard same about the run but never tried,might just give it a crack,,Boats call sign "Battleline" I,ll be on 72,good luck

Cheers
Jeff

Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Thanks for the info as well guys, heading down there weekend after next, will be going from Darwin again so will go past the areas and have a look,

Have got a nice stock of good black spot garfish from a couple of trips to Lee point, can't wait to flick one to a nice Sail :-)

Will be going to Sail city and Bateman wide as well, hopefully the weather will align

Smartie
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Hitting Sail City this afternoon, overnighting at Pt Blaze then hitting Long Lost in the morning. Good tides and 5/10 variable winds..... hopefully the billies will come out to play.

I will post a report when I get back..
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Good luck warren can,t get down there ,but will be heading out to lorna tomorrow nite then hitting nth ,sth gutter sat morning and then a look around fenton .Let you know how we get on

cheers
Jeff
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

I'm KEEN it's been to long since ive had the chance to go fishing,

BRING ON THE BILLIES.
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Launched around 12ish Thursday afternoon with a 15Kt westerly howling directly into Dundee WTF!! Pounded our way out to Long Lost but managed an uneventful trip there.

No Birds
No bait
No tuna
No macks
NO BILLIES.

Found a nice patch of rubble to camp on overnight at Long Lost rather than go back to Blaze. Managed a couple of nice goldies up to about 4Kg. Wind dropped around 8pm and we had a nice comfortable nights sleep.

Woke up to absolute glass conditions.....couldn't tell the sky from the sea. Saw a black with its dorsal out of the water just as the sun was rising.....great start to the day.......turned to shite after that.

No Birds
No bait
No Tuna
No macks
NO BILLFISH.....

All up we trolled teasers for about 10 hours for 1-0-0-0. Nothing raised for the day, not even a mack. Back off the water by 12.30 just as the wind was getting up again.

Water was still green. Plenty of broken up weed and cr.p on the surface of the water. But I think the biggest problem was the plethora of huge jellyfish all throughout the area. I couldn't imagine billies would take kindly to having a dozen of these things speared onto their beak. They were that thick in places that you couldnt see any more that 2ft into the water and I reckon we could have walked all the way back to Dundee.

Oh well....hopefully next time.
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

I got up today and the weather was a beautiful 5-7 kn winds with a 1/4 meter swell, by the time I got the boat ready it was blowing 20-25 kn with 1 meter swell.

Well I haven't been out for a fish in a while and figured s**t weather or not I'm goin fishing. Turned out to be a pretty good time fishing. We didn't even get a chance to chuck out the billfish gear because about 100m from the boat ramp there was huge schools of tuna busting up and they were hungry. Count for the day was 4 tuna about 7kg landed and lost another 8, and one them that got monstered by a huge bronzy.

All in all a pretty good day considering the conditions :)

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

I got up today and the weather was a beautiful 5-7 kn winds with a 1/4 meter swell, by the time I got the boat ready it was blowing 20-25 kn with 1 meter swell.

Well I haven't been out for a fish in a while and figured s**t weather or not I'm goin fishing. Turned out to be a pretty good time fishing. We didn't even get a chance to chuck out the billfish gear because about 100m from the boat ramp there was huge schools of tuna busting up and they were hungry. Count for the day was 4 tuna about 7kg landed and lost another 8, and one them that got monstered by a huge bronzy.

All in all a pretty good day considering the conditions :)

Maurice Strong
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

gday all
did a trip to lorna shoals area o/nite fri and cleaned up on the goldies,with some very big buggers 5over 60cm.But the reason for the trip was to have a go at the Billies in the morning,we trolled from lorna out wide to the end of sth gutter the water was the clearest i,d seen for a long time all most blue.There was a bit weed around but not to much to worry about as most of it was in the current lines and was easy to avoid. The water was a total glass out but one thing missing was the lack of birds and no bust ups any where to be seen,we came across plenty of bait schools but they were all holding close to the bottom .
Any way thats fishing ,in total we did about 5 hours with several rig changes but the one thing that would might have helped was "not to forget the teasers"

Cheers
Jeff
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

jeffish wrote:The one thing that would might have helped was "not to forget the teasers"
Man the deckie would have copped an earfull all weekend if that was me. Did you end up using the good old Beer cans on a rope Backup teaser?
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Gday John
I didnt think to use the emptys just had a couple of poppers out,and didn,t give the deckie heaps as Id packed the boat,,,check list next time :banghead:
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Don't need teasers for lemons :rofl:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

jeffish wrote:didn,t give the deckie heaps as Id packed the boat,

No reason not to take it out on the Deckie.... :twisted:
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Not this deckie John. :bbad:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

Well its not the weekend yet but ill be heading out for a run tomorrow and try to find a couple of the pointy nose fish that have been hanging around lately. Fingers crossed i find something because its been a long time between fish for me. :cry:

Maurice Strong