Help make Kakadu administrators come to their senses

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Help make Kakadu administrators come to their senses

Post by olfella »

Hey fellas I have been on the phone inquiring as to when 2 Mile Hole will open as I know the road well and that it is rock solid. Evidently the road could be open, all is needed is some signage to warn people about a bit of a, now dry, washout and that the left of one crossing is 70 cms deep for about 2 metres, this can be driven around. The excuse is that some people may ignore the signs and damage their car

Evidently the article in yesterdays paper ( The Fixer, page 18) has had quite an impact

So if you want to help make these people come to their senses give Andrew Davies ( operations manager), or who ever answers the phone a ring on 89381103 and ask why the road isn't open.
You could also ring 89381107 ( the number in yesterdays paper)
The public service.....................think they are grandmothers taking care of everyone because they are to stupid to care for themselves rather than serve the public !! Nothing like a bit of pressure FROM the public though !!

As for the Alligator Billabong road, that is a different story as there are some big gutters and creeks ( one in particular is boggy from the old Darwin Road side)to cross getting in there

olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Help make Kakadu administrators come to their senses

Post by olfart »

Drawin a long bow there Ofella, mentionin sense and the public service in the same sentence.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

olfella wrote: The public service.....................think they are grandmothers taking care of everyone because they are to stupid to care for themselves rather than serve the public !! Nothing like a bit of pressure FROM the public though !!
:fubird: :fubird: :fubird:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

You must have been stirring them up ol fella, I just read this topic now and it makes sense why when I called them up today and asked about 2 mile track the bloke I spoke to was a bit short with me and told me at the earliest it will be opened at the start of July!
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

Well, evidently that article in yesterdays paper stirred the hornets nest.
I know of people who have been going in there for awhile and word is that it could have been open weeks ago .............but until you see for your self who knows if that was true. But I do know it is passable now...........even for 2 wheel drive cars. How do I know that ???????????????

As for grumpy's response........................not a senior public servant are ya mate ??
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

What's the chances of getting caught going in there? Is there a locked gate?what's the damage if you get caught? I all for a bit of calculated risk!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

seano wrote:What's the chances of getting caught going in there? Is there a locked gate?what's the damage if you get caught? I all for a bit of calculated risk!
Pretty certain its the same as going over the Adelaide when its flooded. Its a road closed sign! :|
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

What sign ???
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The authorities should close all roads to everywhere in Australia, they are all dangerous, see how fast some of those cars go! Someone could get hurt! :lol:

Seriously, this Kakadu thing is killing business, I have had tourist operators telling me the "closed" nature of Kakadu is killing them.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

It's about maintenance.........the less it's open, the less it's used, the less they have to do maintenance................
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I bet the rangers are catching a few bong fish
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

seano wrote:I bet the rangers are catching a few billabong fish
Agree, tough life checking them tracks everyday.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

OK, in response to some of the comments above.

Between myself and a couple of mates we have spoken to almost the whole hierarchy of management regarding this issue. One thing is certain, some don't even know what the road is like , never been on it and can't answer why it stays closed except to keep sprouting the samr BS about flooding ...............its June and they are still talking about roads being under water !!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK !! AS I have said , I know it isn't. There is about 50 cms in 2 places in small gutters about 5 metres wide
The fact is that this road is opening later every year. For example,it was open about now last year which was a huge and long wet. A few years ago it used to open late April, then early , then mid and then late May. Now it is opening in June.
The other fact is that the road is passable to the extent you can drive a 2 wheel drive car in there
The last fact is that they claim duty of care because some one might ignore the signs.............. For Gawds sake why then bother with signs on any road !!!
Its frustrating , not because the road is closed but because of the farcical reasons why it is.
The other thing that is infuriating is how they keep pasing the buck

Finally, I'm getting to the point where I am going to go in anyway,video the whole 12 k's and if I get charged, take it to court and show how there was no reason to be closed and no damage was done or lives put at risk.I believe it is a $1600 fine.......................but has any one ever paid it ??
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I'll follow you in! Why don't we organize a big mob to go in at once and claim the gate was already open?
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

Ben Jam wrote: Agree, tough life checking them tracks everyday.
Last year I parked on bare sand right beside a 4WD track. Got back to the car at the end of the day, ranger had put a note on my windscreen warning me against "driving off the designated track" which "destroys the bush and creates a precedent for others".

FFS there was no "bush" or any other vegetation there, and this was a narrow 4WD track that one driver has to veer off anyway when there is a vehicle coming the other way!!