Cooinda Home Billabong to Yellow Water route via JimJim Ck

Put fishing videos only here, general videos have a another forum below.
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Cooinda Home Billabong to Yellow Water route via JimJim Ck

Post by garrynt »

Since we caight no fish I thoght I'd whip up an educational video on the mystery waterway between the Cooinda Home Billabong and the Main Yellow Water Boat Ramp that is closed over the Wet until the water recedes. It was a great adventure and something the kids enjoyed, cutting through the wetlands along Jim Jim Creek.

The Cooinda Home Boat ramp is gravel with a turn around at the ramp. Saw lots of vehicles struggle coming out until they locked their hubs in.
Once Launched travel NorthWest for 1 km and you will see the 2m water height marker (it was on 0.6 when we went through in early May 2012), raise the motor and continue along Jim Jim Creek.
There were a few hidden logs along the way, and these no doubt change position every year.

Took us about 9 mins to travel the 1km, we did see others rip through in smaller tinnies.

The actual video is cut down to 5mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqquuMJ0 ... ature=plcp

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Cooinda Home Billabong to Yellow Water route via JimJim

Post by theodosius »

Cheers, had no idea how far that tiny creek went!
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Great video, just remember its harded to come back up as your outboard digs in deeper fighting the current.
tight lines
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

More years ago than I care to remember ,the road to JIm Jim was dirt and during the wet the Nourlangie creek crossings blocked the trip from Jabiru to Jim Jim pub.
We would launch on the the old toe busting ramp at the South Alligator bridge and go up to Jim Jim by boat ,just to get a beer on a Sunday .
Made a great day out , flood plains were full and it was like an inland sea. wWe would keep an eye out for a big clump of bamboo (Bamboo Island ) and head for that ,we had to drag the boat over a natural barrage when the water was down a bit. , cruise into Yellow Watret and then around to Home Billabong and pull up at the back of the old pub.The old pub was just a tine shed with a lean to at the frond , under the lean to was a pool table on a concrete slab.
The Pub had a large flat bottom punt ,they would come down to the Sth Alligator bridge to restock thier supplies by meeting the trucks at the bridge.

I suppose now you would not be able to do that trip due to the restrictions in the park

Kev.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
freddymuluka
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freddymuluka »

Thats an awsome story Bluey! Must have been good times :drinking1:
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

Thinking about fishing Yellow Waters this weekend. Will I still be able to get through from Home Billabong?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good video and great job by the skipper. Not a scratch
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

BlueyNT wrote:More years ago than I care to remember ,the road to JIm Jim was dirt and during the wet the Nourlangie creek crossings blocked the trip from Jabiru to Jim Jim pub.
We would launch on the the old toe busting ramp at the South Alligator bridge and go up to Jim Jim by boat ,just to get a beer on a Sunday .
Made a great day out , flood plains were full and it was like an inland sea. wWe would keep an eye out for a big clump of bamboo (Bamboo Island ) and head for that ,we had to drag the boat over a natural barrage when the water was down a bit. , cruise into Yellow Watret and then around to Home Billabong and pull up at the back of the old pub.The old pub was just a tine shed with a lean to at the frond , under the lean to was a pool table on a concrete slab.
The Pub had a large flat bottom punt ,they would come down to the Sth Alligator bridge to restock thier supplies by meeting the trucks at the bridge.

I suppose now you would not be able to do that trip due to the restrictions in the park

Kev.

I remember it well Bluey, I also remember before they had fridges, the bloke and his Missus sold white cans out of eskies filled with block ice. I'm not sure but I think it was Tom & Judy Opitz, the same couple that used to run the old Jim Jim Store, and then the Cooinda Pub (below)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Looks like good times. Doubt things will ever be that good again.