How light is too light

Kush
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

How light is too light

Post by Kush »

I've never been a fan of heavy gear and am doing most of my spinning now with 8lbs power pro and 20lb flouro leader. Ive landed LongTails and Barra and loving it - anyone else into the light tackle game? I'm going to get another light outfit soon maybe go down to 6lb/10lb, what do you reckon?

I'll obviously get busted off more often but I'm sure i get more hits

Peterdrc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How light is too light

Post by Peterdrc »

What ever you can catch them on
Hendo82

Post by Hendo82 »

Hey mate. Got a 66cm under the warf the other week in a raging current on my tarpon gear, 6pm suffix and 10lb fluoro leader. Great fun!
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Always a buz getting a decent fish on light gear
I fished landbased game for years in my early days and still get the light gear out for some fun
If you use quality gear built for the lineclass you wish to fish you would be amazed what it is capable of
I took my nephew out to shady to catch his first bara ever
Gave him the only eggbeater I had ,a 3kg outfit and he was no fisherman
First barra ever 101 off the barrage
I have some pics of mulloway and bream I caught on 1kg
Go for it as light as you want ,you wont lose too many fish once you master it
barra 8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I fish appropriate tackle -and when that fish of a life time latches on -then I have a chance of landing it! If you fish too light you will more than likely loose it and will forever regret fishing stunt gear.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Always like to use tackle that is suited to the situation, really hate losing fish just because the tackle was too light. Casting small metals to pelagics on light spin gear is a great buzz. Fishing wrecks for jewies using light tackle is like hunting buffalo with an air rifle!
Kush
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

How light is too light

Post by Kush »

I've been down scaling my tackle for a while now and been catching more fish as a result. And you're right. It's so more much fun!
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Yep, light is fun, tend to get more hits and hookups with the lighter gear too I have found when lure fishing and especially jigging.

Lose a few good fish, but sometimes you would never have even hooked it on the heavier gear.

Got a few longtails now on 6lb, it's fun!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
barra bro
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barra bro »

i use the spinners mainly for sootys and fishing the lagoons and catching live bait, there alright but cant beat a baitcaster :P haterz haha... at the moment im using a stradic 4000 ci4 on a raider 6-8kg spin bl..dy love it ...
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Not a fan of ultra light gear, it's gotta increase mortality rates with released fish if you wear em out til they can hardly swim
I mainly chase barra in heavily snagged areas and the cost in terminal tackle would soon become restrictive
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat