carbontex drag upgrades

nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: carbontex drag upgrades

Post by nagz »

When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

Will do nagz. Frenchy had the 200s but not the 300s will ask him if he can get a set of 300s for ya should still only be 18 or 20 for them. Ive got em in some of mine they feel pretty good even if they get a bit dry but i lube them most weekends when i do my cleans
The ones who fight for their beliefs are those who achieve their dreams.

Can we just take the warning stickers off everything and let natural selection take its place, I mean if its spinning fast dont put your fingers in it..... Its not hard

ARTE ET MARTE
diabolical
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by diabolical »

I found some info on Alan Tani's reel repair site about some of the ways to cut washers.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1964.0
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

Got some sheets coming in this week hopefully. Does anyone know where I can pick up a wad/gasket punch set? I tried the big green shed but didn't see em
Cheers
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
ajbear
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ajbear »

I now have carbontex drag washers in all of my casting reels, (older model curado's) that don't come standard with carbon drags as most do these days!! I got in touch with smoooth drag in the usa via email and in a few days had 5 sets of washers delivered to my door for a fraction of the price I could find them in Aust.
http://www.smoothdrag.com/
P.s for anyone looking to increase drag pressure carbontex will not help you with this in my opinion! All of the reels that I have upgraded have slightly less drag if anything but the start up is so smooth almost flawless which is half the battle I think!!
Cheers Aj
Just remember if all else fails "try like F##K" !!!!!!!
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Have done some carbontex drag upgrades on some overhead reels, the drag pressures remain about the same, the start up is smooth as butter, and carbontex is very durable. Also got mine from smoothdrag.com at a fraction of the price of anywhere in Australia. Metal drag washers should also be lapped with #600 grade sandpaper n a figure 8 pattern. Use Cal's grease on the carbontex washers. On star drag reels it does not matter how much grease is applied as the excess is squeezed out. On lever drags excess grease should be wiped off. Smoothdrag also make ground flat metal drag washers for some reels. Here is a tip, when looking to buy a new reel, choose one which can be upgraded with carbontex and also the ground flat metal washers and you will have a top reel, cheers.
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Nagz, checkout Glenfords, I mean Trade Tools, oops, I really mean All Tools in Winnellie. :D

I have bought a single wad punch from them a few years ago, but can't recall if they had sets of them.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

Will do ash
Cheers mate

nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

got my carbontex sheets in the mail today
awesome service from Andrew at downriggershop
i ordered two sheets and i reckon that'll be enough to do ten or more reels, depending on how well i can cut the stuff lol
highly recommeneded.
cheers

nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

Managed to cut washers for seven reels out of just one dl envelope sized piece of carbontex with enuff left over to maybe knock out another reel. I reckon ive saved easy over $150. Awesome i reckon.

Jim_larrakeyah
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jim_larrakeyah »

carbontex drag upgrades----

are they really effective or just pure hype? Just asking because why cant the manufacturer just upgrade to carbontex if this really that cool.
ajbear
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ajbear »

Jim a lot of manufacturer's are fitting carbon drags as standard these days, The biggest difference I have found since fitting carbon drags to my reels is the start up is now so smooth and the drag has no jerky movements in it at all now. There is a noticable difference in my opinion.
Just remember if all else fails "try like F##K" !!!!!!!
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

I assume it's a bait like ceramic and carbon fibre brakes on cars - the flash / expensive ones have all the fruit, and us mere mortals have to put up with bog standard ones....
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John