Is Smaller Better?; hook sizes for Gars & Diamond Mullet

Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Is Smaller Better?; hook sizes for Gars & Diamond Mullet

Post by Trier »

Hi all,

Am currently using Mustard size 10 hooks for Garfish; generally the ones I seem to see and catch are up to 20cm, not the beauties that Doug caught on the weekend. It seems to take ages before I finally get one on the hook.

For Diamond Scale Mullet, I've only ever caught one, and that was on (I think) a 1/0 circle hook. I want to have some fun with the mullet as there is usually a heap around when chucking the bread out and waiting for the Milkfish.

I know I'm not the worlds greatest fisherman and that my technique has a great deal of room for improvement as well, however my question is:

Is smaller better?

Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is Smaller Better?; hook sizes for Gars & Diamond Mullet

Post by mako »

Small strong hooks are able to catch large fish as well as the smaller fish. Large hooks usually only catch large fish. Once caught a ten foot shark on a mustad hoodlum 1/0 hook, and another time caught six large jewfish on 3/0 mustad tarpon hooks.
woo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by woo »

Always fun catching the Gar. Try heading to Cas woolies petrol and looking in the fishing section as you come in the door. they have gar rigs already packaged and ready to go. I have been using them for a while and they seem to do the job. i think they are on a size 10 hook. but worth the couple $$ they charge.
GROWING OLD IS INEVITABLE
GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

For garfish I usually us a size 10 or 12 but as a long shank. The reason being is that when the garfish are there you need to keep your bait in the water to keep them interested and a longshank makes it easier to un-hook the fish and stops most hook swallows. It wont stop the mullet from swallowing it though as they have bigger mouths
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Same as lats #12 long shank.
Works well for gar and whiting
Must add a bit hard to get up here at times .
Got the last batch when in adelaide a few years ago
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Thanks for the replies. Woo, went to the petrol station yesterday, and they had smelled hooks with a mix of sizes from 10 to about 1, but were wanting $10.99 for them. - thought it was a bit exxy, so went to BCF. They only had size 10 hooks, but at least they were long shanks. They don't have any fish/tuna oil, so went to Craig's who had some, and also some size 12 long shanks as well!
Now to catch some....
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John