Peron Islands

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
rhughsy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Peron Islands

Post by rhughsy »

Any tips on fishing around the Peron islands and where to launch from would be great... All ive found out so far is its possible to get there from dundee ramp and the other option, channel point is to much drama to launch from and hard to get to...
Any advice is appreciated... mainly interested to know if im considered insane to travel there from dundee with a 5mtr tinnie....
Also keen to hear if theres much hope of catching red emporer and trolling for macks this time of year..

Cheers
Ross

CodFather
Seadog
Seadog

Post by CodFather »

Plenty of others go in 5m tinnies, I've been out wide in a 5.4 off blaze. You just have to pick the right conditions which goes for any time going anywhere.

Water can be a bit ugly with westerlies though you have the advantage of being able to hide around the island if it blows up not good for coming home though.

I have never fished the same spot twice around the Perons and have never come back without a good feed. Just look for rubble bottom and give it a go, the main staple is trickies generally around 50 plus cm but mixed in is red emp and coral trout, did once get into a heap of harliquin cod of blaze about 15 klm out of blaze point.

And some days the mac are so thick you get sick of putting floaters out and having them take the bait before you have finished :o , not much fun in free spool having braid run through your fingers :x .

going from dundee is the way i do it but that's more a limitation due to the boat then any other reason. and the tractor makes life pretty easy for $15.

cheers
Ray
Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gold Can »

Mate,
I was doing It in my 485 before I sold her.
The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

codfather has got it spot on :mrgreen: keep moving and fish any difference in the bottom even if it looks like just rubble. i like to fish blaze point for goldies and jew and if its calm enough cruise out to sail city for red emps, trout and macks. never had a bad trip out there (touch wood). always intend on going to the island them self but the fishing is so good at blaze its hard to leave, the westerly can be a killer in a smaller boat and makes for interesting viewing at the ramp, not easy to drive on with a 25kn westerly and 30 drunkin fishermen egging you on! i have a 489 nomad with a 60 4s and have had no trouble out or back. im sure you will enjoy. make sure you get some pics!! :cheers: harmsey
rhughsy
Silver Member
Silver Member

thanks

Post by rhughsy »

Thanks for the tips and advice. Looking forward to getting there, 1 week to go, fishing gear and beer has been packed so all is well.
:cheers: