Tackle Shops In Japan

smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Tackle Shops In Japan

Post by smed »

Has anyone travelled to Japan & bought tackle whilst there? Anyone know if you can by reels etc duty free? Would like to get some Daiwa or Shimano gear on an upcoming trip. I've googled tackle shops there. If my calculations are right, prices are pretty much the same as online prices. Pretty sure we land in Osaka, though not sure how much time we have there before we move on. Cheers for any advice.
Smed

rockhopper
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tackle Shops In Japan

Post by rockhopper »

Look up pro-shop they're pretty much everywhere but some specialize in one type of fishing only
rumjungle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumjungle »

Smed I went over there prior to the GFC for business and like you, expected to be able to purchase Japanese brands like Shimano at the right price.

I flew into Osaka, traveled to Kyoto (you must see the Kyoto train station) and then on to Tokyo.
I had a guide take me all over Tokyo to various tackle shops and their pricing was dearer than ours at that time and focused on small tackle mainly.

Fishing in Japan for recreation is a bit like golf over there, you have to be well off.

Still worth a look and it may have changed with the AUS$ being stronger.

Good luck, it's an amazing place but you will be looking for a steak when you get back.

Rum.
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

I reckon you're right re the steak. Bit worried about stuffing up local customs ie wearing the right set of thongs to the loo, not bowing at the right time or low enough etc. From what I've seen on the tackle sites over there, pretty much the same as here unless I'm not converting the prices correctly. Still....really looking forward to it. Will let you know how I go in the quest for a bargain Zillion over there.