Port roper

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
slapper
Silver Member
Silver Member

Port roper

Post by slapper »

2 rods

I hear you have fished the mouth of the roper river a bit? I am heading down there next week for a few days. You mentioned something about the last creek on the left before the mouth. How do you fish this area and have you fished it in the build-up before? Any advice from anybody else who has fished this area would also be greatly appreciated.

2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Gday slapper,
Yep I have fished it a few times and it can turn on some great barra fishing at times. The latest I heard was it was fishing very well (last week or 2). :clap:

The creek at the mouth has a deep hole where it joins the main river. If you troll deep divers through there and up onto the mud flats beside it you should pick up some fish. Y might even get some jewies on lure or one of them monster p o w e r t a i l. Legand has it that the p o w e r t a i l are good eating...bearded barra they call them :???: :???:

The other places to try are the creeks just down from the crabers camps on the other bank. just look for snags and cast or troll close to them.

You will need to ensure that all of your gear is spot on as the fish there are as tough as nails and are often around the meter mark, some even around the 1.3mtr mark so leave the light gear at home. Take some bait for the jewie hole and for a trip out to the island out the front if the wind is kind to you while your there.

On the camping side of things there is nothing there at all... :shock: not even a a dunny.. just a boat ramp with a bad drop off at the end of it so look out if you try and get in at low tide.

There is a pro barra fisherman who lives there .. reidy is his name. Top bloke and very helpfull to people who are not wankers and need a bit of help. If you want to get in his good books and maybe get some good upto date info take down the NT news from the last week and some bread and milk if you have room. It might be the best 5-10 bucks you ever spent on fishing :cheers: :cheers:

I will PM you the gps mark for the jewie hole as well. Happy fishing :catch:

hope that helps

2rods
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

a mate of mine that used to do a bit of guided fishing down there a few years ago reckons he got some monster jew out of that hole at times.
a light sinker above the live bait and let it swirl around in the eddy.
the roper was my first tropical fishing trip. black fellow creek was going off big time, barra were like tuna feeding, 2nd barra i caught there went 119cm only weighed 31lb had a big Powertail spine stuck in its gut.
ah the memories.
From the heart of the channel country.
To be old and wise, one has to have been young and stupid !!!
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

West Australians (The Southern Type, I should add) absolutely LOVE Powertail. They call it Silver Cobbler. :rofl:

Try telling a Southern Sandgroper they are eating Powertail, it's an interesting conversation. :bonk:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!