2011 Groote Billfish comp Team Aquahollic

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

2011 Groote Billfish comp Team Aquahollic

Post by hobbsy »

Well as promised but a little late, I would post a topic on the 2011 billy comp on Groote.

I was part of team "Aquahollic" that consisted of Dave Archibold (bill fish extraordinare) , Dan Giddings (skipper and boat owner) and myself. We fished 3 consecutive days sleeping on the boat at South point at night and fishing an area called the "Kink".

The Kink seemed to be the place on everyone's agenda as there were lots of boats down there. We would jig up our bait in the mornings then trow out the teasers, daisy chains, birdie walkers, tractors, witch doctors and all sorts of contraptions :shock: and hope to avoid the razor gang, slime, etc to tag a "billy" 8) . I had last fished the comp in 2009 and was educated on all of the terminology then. :mrgreen:

We had an awesome 3 days where we caught 6 billys (5 sails & 1 marlin) Dave got 4 sails, Dan 1 marlin and I 1 sail along with the usual "slime & razor gang members". I should add that we droped a few and raised ump-ding amounts. This earned us best team in 6M boat where we won a shimano tyrnos each 8)

The winners of the comp were 2 different teams (forgotten their team names), but 1 team got 16 billys and the other got 17.

The total billfish numbers were a record for the comp and the Eylandt had a record year in terms of numbers of billfish caught.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 2011 Groote Billfish comp Team Aquahollic

Post by DOUG »

Good stuff boys was the weather pretty good for the comp ??
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

Weather was better in the first 1/2 of the comp, the part we fished. The 2nd 1/2 of the comp was blowing hard and made it difficult for the other competitors to get out.

Out of our 3 days, there was only 1 day that was a little uncomfortable but we still fished it, the other 2 were good.
Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Great post.
top effort all round.
thanks for the look
graham.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Great post, gotta love the "raft up"!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Nice pics and congrats on the win in your class!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Hell yeah, nice photos. That tuna is FAT as
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Looks like a great time was had, the billfish pix that come in from out that way get the blood running ...
Thai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thai »

great stuff