ABU Revo fault

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

ABU Revo fault

Post by seano »

Ive had my Revo for a few weeks now and already found a weakness- the star drag thread is a finely threaded and made of aluminium, which I have managed to strip.So just beware and try not to wind the drag down too tight on these reels! Apparently the Black max star fits and the thread is a better material.

ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: ABU Revo fault

Post by ken_dog »

Which revo? MGX?
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

stop hooking those big fish you have to screw the drak down on seano :lol:
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

ken_dog wrote:Which revo? MGX?
ABU Revo Inshore
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Have had a few faults with mine as well Seano. Not the same problem you have had but done a few bearings already and other little nicks an knacks. i had my old revo for three years and no probs. The new one has had more go wrong in 3 months then the other real has ever had. Sometimes you wounder how things can turn to poo so quickley?
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I've still got the old one. Can not kill it. Shame if they have cut corners they were getting a good rep.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

One thing Ive done is Ive removed the sheilds on the spool bearings so I can clean them and oil them after each couple of sessions. Blast them with carby cleaner ,then compressed air followed by a couple of drops of oil, works a treat
ottis
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ottis »

mate ive had an inshore limitied edition for three years now(perfect barra reel) , and my young blokes have also got an assortment of revos. Ive used a lot of good gear over the years but nothing compares to these reels price point and the premieres will hold their own with anything its a very versitile reel, i think the orra inshore is one they may have reduced in quality lately but generally these reels tend to be bulletproof and its good to see another company giving diawa and shimano a run. cheers ron
goveite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by goveite »

I've got 3 revo in shores and can't fault them, their a couple of years old now and cop a fair hiding and haven't let me down yet. Real work horse reels. the drag system s...ts all over my cur ado. Hope they haven't changed the new models to much, if it aint broke don't fix it.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Im not bagging the reel just letting people know that it has a weak point so that others dont do what I did.
goveite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by goveite »

Apart from the thread weakness how do you find the newer revos seano, especially under load?.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Seems like a nice reel-smooth and a great drag, not as good too cast as a zillion but holds more line with a better drag.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

seano sounds like a fault when they went through production and the thread clearance is to much. my inshore produces about 7kg of drag and has been screwed down heavily without any problems i would ring pure fishing and explain what has happened they should help you out they are good to deal with.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Did a search on the web and found this-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Because the stock washers of the Revo series will wear down fast, you will lose drag as you use the reel especially if the reel is used on larger fish. The tendency is to tighten the star further. Unfortunately, the stock drag star is made of aluminum. In the end the threads will strip.

Fortunately, I found a better replacement. The star drag from Abu Garcia Silvermax. You can see the insert is sturdier. The clicker was from Silvermax as well. Because the Drag Star of Silvermax is a bit taller, you will need the clicker assembly from Silvermax to get a perfect fit. You can also use the stock Inshore clicker but your Drag Star will sit a bit higher.