The Cutting

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
barratragic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Cutting

Post by barratragic »

Hi all,

I had a mate in a 480 top ender take somehting like 3 hours to get through late in the run off last year. . May i think it was..
he mentioned trees had fallen over the path and it was a right pig to get through.. he was wishing he had a chain saw.. he had the Mrs and 2 tin lids onboard.. was not fun.. I had only been through about 3 weeks before him with no trouble..

Anyway. .this year with the 569 Nomad being bit bigger.. i was not keen to risk going through the cutting last Saturday.. once your in there. .there is no turning back..

So with the number of shady posts in the last week . .who has gone through the Cutting ? and what's it like this year.. any photos out there ?

cheers

ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: The Cutting

Post by ozdodge »

I was there on Saturday.

High was at 7:30am at the barrage and I got to the cutting about 9:30am on the dropping tide.

There was stuff all water in there, only 600mm on the sounder in some sections, so after bashing through some trees and running aground a bit I turned back after going in about 500m.

ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

Does the cutting take you to the mouth or closer to the dead forest? And is it easier or quicker than going round?
norrs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by norrs »

It just takes up near the top so you can access the dead forrests easier. If you want to fish the mouth, I'd suggest going around. I went through there last year in a 5m boat, fricken scarey, heaps of logs down and blocking the path, had to smash through them all with a falling tide pushing me through.
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

yeah wasn't sure only fished shady once and that was on the weekend went round to tommy cut apart from the waves it was a pretty quick run
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

soft soft soft, turing around after 500m.

I went through in June and it was well blocked. but I didnt know that and went around in the morning and banked on going through the cutting in the evening to get back.

Had to drag / smash the boat over a few spots but go through in a 4 m boat. definately needs a chain saw.

Has anyone been through this year........

I cant believe that you caught 50 fish and the Finniss on the weekend barra tragic but I suppose it was the neap tides....
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
Deigs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Deigs »

not much better this year by the sounds of it some boys on opening day took an hour and a half to go through it very shallow and very overgrown. would go to the mouth and go round heard there was no water up top of tommycut anyway.
barratragic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barratragic »

Thanks Deigs, hour and a half. .ouch... how big is your mates boat ?
Deigs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Deigs »

it was just some boys that we were talking to in a white gs boat 5m i think it was
Wylde_Fish88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wylde_Fish88 »

Mate we fished shady yesterday (sunday) and didnt even look twice at the cutting 4.8m 60hp, the longer this dry spell lasts the worse it'll get, wouldnt bother till we have solid rain out there.

cheers.
If your not living on the edge, your just taking up space.

Grammer is for lossers.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

So no one has got through even on the high tide, I was hoping to use it on thursday???

Oh well the wind forcast is good.
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
joedirt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by joedirt »

Me and two mates did the cutting on low tide Friday night (3/2/2012) in a 4.6m trailcarft with a 50 on the back. Slow going was an understatement! Lots of overgrown trees and around 400mm of water with lots of hidden surprises just under the water. Did it on the high tide on the way back on Saturday and was still rough going. Boat's paint job copped it but having said that it was easier compared to the low as long as you don't mind bashing your boat a bit. We've decided not to do it until it gets more traffic. Highly recommend a chainsaw!
Mclaren
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mclaren »

:naughty:
Brent Matthews wrote:
I cant believe that you caught 50 fish and the Finniss on the weekend barra tragic but I suppose it was the neap tides....
Thought you said the Finniss was silted up BD? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
KT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by KT »

Thanks
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Well I had a crack at the cutting on Thursday midday just after the high.
We made it through but was it worth it?? No way!!! About an hr to get through, water level isn't the problem its the fact that it hasn't been pruned in a few years.
The mangrove have chocked it right up. I'm not sure who used to prune it, crabers or guides.
Marked up the boat a bit, but hey thats a minor detail, the major one is I smashed the shaft on my Minn Kota! Not happy. :banghead:
The good news is have ordered one from Frenchy's and was only $45 bucks. :mrgreen:

Anyway don't wast your time or smash up your gear guy's as there is no water up the dead forest anyway, dry as a nuns nasty. :cry:

:cheers: :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!

Return to “Barramundi Reports”