West Alligator River

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

West Alligator River

Post by BEAR »

Does anyone know exactly why west alligator is closed to fishing :???: Is some sort of experiment :???: Has anyone been up there for a look :sailing: Has anyone here fished before the closure to fishing :???:

BEAR

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Dunno Bear, all I know is that it's been closed for as long as I can remember.
Never been in for a look either.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Tamlin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tamlin »

Bear,

GREAT question.

From what I understand is that the river was closed and was suppose to be a river that researchers could do baselines on. From what I've been told is that there have been no baselines done and none planned.

I tell you what, I'll send Chris from AFANT and email and find out if there are any plans for opening it up in the future and what the deal with it is.

It would be great to have another river open to take pressure off the other systems (and another place to explore!).

Catch ya,
Tam
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

I was under the impression that it was a Native Title restriction :banghead:

And the Traditional Owners get very upset about uninvited guests.......

I would like an official clarification on why this river is off limits because I think if it is anything less than Native Title and/or Nuclear testing it should be open to everyong to enjoy recreationally.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!
Walkabout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Walkabout »

From what I've know, this river is a guide to test the impact of boats and fishing in Kakadu. If numbers decline at the south and east then they check the west if it is fine then it helps to understand when we are doing damage.

I have seen pictures dated back 15 - 20 years from CSIRO workers. They had piles of 20 barra or more on the banks in every photo some just bigger than the handlines they were using at the time to meter plus! It made me mad to see it. These are the people who have the permission to be there and are suppose to be working on a healthy future for the environment.
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

Ok, it sounds like it's a research thing. So why then, does fisheries need to block off one end of Corroboree to do that sort of testing? Maybe I'm just uneducated but who wouldn't love the opportunity to fish that virgin river?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

this river is a guide to test the impact of boats and fishing in Kakadu.
I have a vague recollection of it being closed before it became part of Kakadu so I'm not so sure about this one.

And I could well be wrong on this one too......I'm sure the Pococks are the traditionals of the West just as they are the Wildman and they have no problems with visitors to Four Mile, two Mile, Alecs Hole and the like. So why a problem with the West?

That's my thinking for the day done.......my head hurts :bonk:
Last edited by Blinky on Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

west

Post by dodgyone »

I asked about it once and was told that it was netted to death and closed to protect it from total collapse. :???: Then told even though it is ok now there is quite a bit of mimosa and they dont want it spread around. Trad owners are also supposedly quite happy with it staying closed. So many different stories, be good to hear the definate answer on this one :banghead:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

I have also heard that it was closed to be used as a control river to determine the effects of recreational fishing pressure on the other major rivers in that region. As far as I'm aware no studies to determine the outcome or effects have ever taken place, or at least not been publicised. I also believe that AFANT have made a couple of previous bids to have the river re-opened, even on a seasonal basis similar to Shady camp, which I think would be a great idea. Have spoken to a couple of "nameless" people who claim to have taken the risk to fish it after travelling around from the mouth of the South Alligator and spoke very highly of their catch rates........but that's all I'll say on that subject :lipsrsealed: .

Cheers,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

it would be good to see it opened up to rec fisho's again :fishing: it would be intresting to see if it actually does fish any better than the other big rivers in the area due to the total closure to fishing :|

BEAR
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Here you go read about it here.

http://www.aph.gov.au/SEnate/committee/ ... sub104.pdf

this is a good site with interesting info.

http://db.angfa.org.au/site.php?query=& ... 0&limit=20
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au