Thingamejigger for holding handlines

Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Thingamejigger for holding handlines

Post by Trier »

I'm land based, so when fishing from a jetty using a handline, usually pass the line around a rail or post in the hope that the reel doesn't flick off into the drink if it goes off, or have to do a dance and jump on it. Typically I might have say a couple of heavy handlines out (maybe a weighted bait, and something on a float) and have a flick around with a rod.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a gadget of some sort that can hold a handline reel (or maybe even two) and possibly apply some slight drag to the line so it doesn't free-spool and possibly tangle. Presumably it would have to be able to be clipped/tied to a rail, bollard, or whatever happens to be around, able to be mounted on a stake when fishing on a beach or riverbank, and maybe even wedged between rocks as well. Might even be handy to be able to put it into a boat as well for some people.

Ideally It would need to be lightweight, compact ('cause I already carry too much cr.p with me when I go fishing!), quick to assemble and without too many fiddly pieces to drop into the brine.

And no, I don't want to lash out on some flash game rod and reel that can hold 150lb line. :mrgreen:

No doubt there is some neat, simple solution, but buggered if I can think of it! :bonk:

Any suggestions? :idea:

Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Thingamejigger for holding handlines

Post by olfart »

Ash, if you're using the bigger diameter reels just stand em up edge on to the railing so the line feeds off the bottom and up over the rail..when it gets a hit it'll spin away from the rail. Off the beach I just lay out a couple of big s,s of slack and drop the reel in me bucket, if the bucketis a half full it won't tip, standing a stick at the edge with the line hanging over the top is a good strike indicator as well.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Biff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Biff »

A bucket of water i know its not compact but it works,stops the ol handline dance!
Cheers.
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Thanks OF & Biff for the tips - I like the bucket idea, and usually have so much stuff with me that I have a spare bucket with me anyway! I suspect I was 'over-thinking' the problem, and trying to come up with something too complicated; was even envisaging somehow fitting the handline to say a viscous fluid fan coupling and somehow modifying that to provide some drag!! :bonk:

Thanks again,
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Ash 20L will double as a livie bucket as well, the reel stops em jumpin out, plus you can sit on it. well I can, but then I'm no giant. :wink: :cheers: graham
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.