Murray River Rebounds

Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Murray River Rebounds

Post by Shane Doevy »

Travelled down to SA for the xmas break - quick trip only spent about a week down there but did manage one day on the river with JD to see how it was fairing after a nice flush out. Dad had been getting some good yellowbelly up the top of the river but due to road condidtions we couldnt get there so we did an afternoon down stream of lock 5.

Word on the street was that the river was loaded with small fish and that eel tailed Powertail had made a huge come back. They were around in big numbers when i was a kid and werent protected then as they are now.

We tried a few spots down the river and ended up at some willows that the greenies had seen the wisdom to poison - its a shame really as they are great habitat for bait and as such attract plenty of fish but of course they arent native so some green guru has decreed that they be destroyed - anyhow the fish were about in number - plenty of small yellow belly and some snags were lodaded witht he powertails - we caught great numbers of bith on worm and live shrimp bait - good fun - didnt have to try too had to get em - most snags had fish on them. None big enough to keep. Dropped some yabbie pots in but no luck - need the water to come back up againa dn they will go off again.

The green "experts" who have been advising the govt down there stated that the river would never recover - there are record numbers of water birds on the river now, young trees are gorwing like grass along the river banks and the river is full of small fish. During the high rivers during the year hordes of yabbies were everywhere. So depsite the bulls poop and spin fromt he green groups it would appear that the river is well ont he road to recovery. Dont know why the givt doesnt demand an explanantion from the so called experts and ask them why they were so negative with no proff - proff is right in front of them now - the river goes through cycles and is regenerating itself right now - rumour has it that there could be a big food next year - not good news for some but could be god for the future of the river. beware the cr.p that these self interested green groups spin as most of it is total rubbish - they have lost plenty of credibility amongst the river communities as they see how the supposedly doomed river come back to life!!

Back on deck in the NT now and ready for the run off

Cheers

Shane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
SteveB
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Murray River Rebounds

Post by SteveB »

Amazing what a big lump of water can do to a river that has had little flow for years. Great news for the future of the river and fishing in the lower Murray.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

its good to see some little ones abt....be like live bait or you though !!!!!
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

good read , and your right about those willow trees. I herd the caties where making bit of a come back :fishing:
semper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by semper »

thanks for the report mate, I grew up down there and have been getting similar reports from the old man.

river just needs a flooding every 2-3 years or so. this was the first flood at our property since 1997 i think.
will be back at the end of january for a week or so, hopefully they get a bit of water and some hot weather to fire the yabbies up by then.
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

The willows go as they suck an extraordinary amount of water out of the system. Nothing to do with the greenies this time

Good to see the powertails back. I've never seen one

Edit:Haha, Matt and your default powertails