How things have changed on the fishing scene over the years

bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

olfella, nice post, like it, wish things were still like that now.

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Good read........ the memories are flooding back now!
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Migelli
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Migelli »

Nice one, ol Gazza! I'm sure everyone is looking forward to some more stories but with all due respect, we would like to hear them only once... :sleep:
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

A word of advice to ya Mud, stay humble and be the quiet achiever.I never heaped it on blokes when I would continually flog them trip after trip. I have always been a humble man..........
I never tell the same story twice and I am quick to use the latest fishing technology.
When my young mates give me advice I take it all in and never comment or get s--ty about being told the obvious.

I have never sent poems to girls or used the excuse that I have exams not to go fishing.
I never get the sulks and go sit in my boat.

I don't chuck a fit when someone happens to scratch the paint on my boat when retrieving the anchor

I, I .......you know what I mean fellas.........!!!
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: How things have changed on the fishing scene over the ye

Post by grumpy »

olfella wrote:
Also back in the late '70's and early 80's you had to get permission from Point Stuart station to fish Shady Camp. Now that was hot fishing.There used to be a big floodplain a couple of kilometres up the creek that ran off to the right a few kilometres below the S -Bends.On the dropping tide those channels would produce catches of up to 70 Barra ( between 2 fisherman) up to about 90 cms. But unfortunately by the late 90's the channels had been overgrown with trees and bush.

0lfella
Liked the read olfella and to remember how it was back then at some of the places you have mentioned. I was at Point Stuart working in the Buffalo industry back then and remember the fishing well. I tell the story all the time about how Dad and I left my mum, girlfriend and sister on the bank near the crossing one day while we set off down stream in the old 12 foot Dolphin with the 9.9 Suzuki on the back to do some serious mens fishing down at the S Bends. :catch: :catch:

When we returned some 3 hours later we were happy that we had bagged 50 plus Barra but they couldn't stop bragging about the 70 odd fish they had dragged in just from the bank and with handlines. To prove they weren't joking they had kept 6 big Barra and 4 Saratoga all around the meter mark. Back then the Toggas were thick at Shady. :clap: :clap:

All but a dream now. O! and I wish I had never shown my mates the Chambers Bay Jew Reef. :idea:

Cheers (old) Grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Hey Oldfella, you are not alone on here. I caught my first barra on a handline in the upper Mary in 76 & it wasnt the only thing to get hooked. Your story reminded me of our days playing stockboats on the south with Cords & co. Those little 11footers & the mandatory 15 horse mariners where the go those days. Did you get involved in the dingy races at Fanny bay?
We have probably crossed paths on the water a few time over the years. :cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

Its terrific to get all these posts from you old buggers out there, struth I thought I was almost on my lonesome..........well am in terms of old fishing mates, some are still in Darwin but never go out any more. Thank all the gods for the younger generation who have 'rescued' me and have helped me kep the dream alive......and get involved with new technology.

I reckon I may have bumped into a few of you over the years, especially at 2 Mile Hole or the upper South. If you came across another boat you always stopped for a chat.
But no, I was never involved in any boat races anywhere.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Great to read about what the place was like in the 70s & 80s!
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

If you like this stuff, may I suggest you have a gander at my regular "Memoirs" article in the North australian Fishing and Outdoors Mag

It was because of this post that Matt got me to write those articles.

Cheers
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Onya olfella, got me to thinking of being perched in a tree fork at the mouth of bamboo trying to handline a big girl up without falling in. Bob White sitting on the barbie plate instead of the eski after getting a skinful.How a trip to the Daly used to be a carton and you always took the weeks papers down for Alfie and the boys at Woolliana and Allan and Norma McLeod. I look at the flash murry gear we use nowadays and remember the wooden handreel loaded up with catgut I use to use as a youngun, and I have to agree with you, fishing's come a helluva long way over the years, but as long as there are younguns around who share the passion it can only get better. Times change, but memories last forever, and when these younguns get to our age it'll be them telling the yarns. Thanks for the memory jog olfella. :cheers: shorty
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

:clap: :bow: Hopefully this thread goes on for months!! What a great read! 8)
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

12footer with a 15HP is still all i use up here.
cheap to run. and for billabongs and rivers is absolutly fine. (not bluewater)
why did everyone stop using these. with all the improvements in ramps etc.
wouldnt it be even eaiser now then it was back in the day.
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

It was out of nessecity to get bigger boats, as back then when i was a lad we did all the rivers and billabongs in 12 footers with 9.9 johnos on the back, THEN they stopped shooting crocs, and when youve had one get a front leg in your littel boat it soon becomes a proplem, just ask Cord,s . We use to jump in rapid creek at LIMS, On the big tides and ride the water all the way to rapid creek bridge on tubes !! wouldnt even cross the creek now !!!!
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

Yep gone are the days where if you got a snag you just dived in and fetched your lure. Wish I hadda been in the territory 20-30 yrs ago.... when meterys were plentiful, fishing areas were peaceful, fuel was cheap and getting to the water was an adventure on its own. One can only dream of that stuff now.

Might have to move and find a new territory....
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

Wow fellas, love reading your responses to my old original post I made back in 2009 .........you guys have resurrected it.
I still have my 10.5 footer around the back and my 15 HP in the store room but don't get to use it much except for Red Lilly area and Upper Mary. I had a nasty experience with a croc in it 3 years ago and am a little wary of using it now.
To think I would think nothing of duck diving for lures in those bongs, full of p..s has me wondering how one survived.
But the fact you would have the to top of the South or Shady Camp to yourself on a Saturday back then now almost seems it was a dream, not reality.
But now I fish with young blokes, one the son of my best mate who is now dead ( 3 of my old fishing mates are now dead) and they torment the cr.p out of me............" Come on Olfella, give us another yarn.....one we have not heard before !! "
Thanks to them I still love my fishing and still have great adventures