Ever been stung or bitten?

Tell us about your own or others' fishing, boating, 4X4 or camping trip gone wrong. With pictures.

Have you ever been stung or injured by an animal while fishing?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 22

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ever been stung or bitten?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Have you ever been stung or injured by an animal while fishing or diving?

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

You get that when you put your hand too close to the teeth :wink:
Regards Dick
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

yep... have had the odd box jellyfish sting bringing up the crabpots :cry:
and had a jew fish dorsal spike go into my knee and behind my knee cap years ago :cry: :cry: I thought it was a bright idea to hold it up on the mates gaff hook 4 a pic... gaff broke and fish fell straight for the floor...but my knee stopped it :banghead: :banghead:

now i hold them properly :idea:
Last edited by 2rods on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

yep those annoying little fish that get caught in the throw net, pack a good sting for a little fish. buggered if I know what they are?

BEAR
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

been very careful up here thus far.

have had a couple of nasty cuts from the humble old flatty back home though...

a couple to the bone, and that nice infection that comes with it!
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
Oh Yeah

Post by Oh Yeah »

Yes the odd Powertail spike.

Got bitten by a redback spider one time not while fishing though!!

That wasted 24 hours of my life!!

Oh Yeah.
Scotty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty »

Yep Yep.. cast nets drag in all sorts of nasty stuff. Very careful now not to rush and have a good look :idea:

Had a mate get a stinger through the fingers whilst pulling in the anchor rope oneday. Could tell by the scream what was going on, always have the vinegar handy!!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Redback

Post by Matt Flynn »

Oh Yeah, tell us about the redback experience
elkerr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spikes

Post by elkerr »

Yeah, have been cut numerous times by flathead back in NSW. Worst thing I have ever experianced though is being on parade, being bitten by a march fly and not being able to move. I had a 10 cm round bruise and a nasty infection too. It took two weeks for it to go away.

Regards Ellen Kerr
Reel women do it better
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

stings and things

Post by chanos »

Copped a powertail through the finger.......pain and wrecked the day.
red rock cod down south got me and that was unbelievable, had to retrieve boat and drive one handed and in agony. Lesson there somewhere.

Had a barra spike me beside the shin and thought nothing of it except after a month of weeping hole, I dug around in the hole (about 2cm in)and gave it a good squeeze and out came lotsa yucky stuff and the tip of the spine.

Young bloke I know actually jumped of the rocks and grabbed a big mack that had just spat the lure out. whilst climbing out it got a little annoyed and bit a chunk out of his shin about 3" long and 1" wide. Couldnt be stitched etc and took months to heal, but hey, we are bulletproof at that age :grin:

chanos
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Nothing major........just the usual nicks, cuts and scratches.

Scored a treble up to the hilt in the palm of my hand thanks to a big Yellow Waters powertail........a strong mate, big pliers and a half bot of Jim Beam fixed it just nicely, thank you very much! :grin: :grin:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

stung

Post by Matt Flynn »

I have copped the dorsal tip of a fortescue-like fish in Brisbane River and I don't ever want to cop a full sting from one of them or a stonefish.

I saw a drunk bloke stand on the dorsal spine of a big salmon powertail on Shornecliffe pier in Brisbane - he went pale and quiet but kept fishing.

A common experience is a severe itchy rash from the grubs that live on freshwater mangroves around the Top End. It's common to get it when fishing off the bank.

Thought the funniest thing was seeing Ben Dark bitten by two mud crabs on TV - I thought he handled it really well. Wasn't funny for him tho, poor bloke, at least he didn't lose a finger.
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

Have had numberous spikes from Powertail and the like as well as the usual brushes with box jelly's on anchor ropes or in throw nets. Worst pain for me was a powertail spine in the back just inside my shoulder blade when I didn't realise it was in my thow net and threw it over my shoulder. My Dad has got me beat after copping a slash from a stingray on a remote trip that we were on years ago. We were using a drag net catching bait when the stingray got tangled right near his end and whipped it's spike right into his ankle. The next hour was the most excruciating pain that he said he's ever experienced, including losing half a finger and nearly a thumb on a bandsaw. I've always been wary of stingrays since then after seeing the amount of pain he was in, not even the bottle of bundy that he downed seemed to help much.
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

heaps of jelly stings with the throw net and a few good muddy bites :eek:
Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gold Can »

Have had a few jelly fish stings whilst pulling in the anchor, the worst was just on the inside of the thigh lucky we had the vinegar onboard it didn't stop the pain but relieved it a little, another one was a Powertail dorsal through the webbing of the finger when I was a young fella and the whole had blew up like a football, and also had a few small muddies grab a hold of my fett while walking through the shallows with the cast net.
The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!