Hotham creeks again

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Hotham creeks again

Post by Shane Doevy »

Slipped out to SWA and tokk and arvo run to what is getting to be one of my favourtie locations - launched after lunch on saturday and only just made it across the rockbar below the ramp - went and had a look around the narrows and it was an eye opener with the water so low - saw some rubbly spots which will be worth a look on neaps. Went into the first wiltshire and didnt see much action.

Headed out into a bit of abreeze and made my way up to the outside of the creek as the tide started ripping in - first cast over the small bommie and straight onto a nice goldie - several others followed him to the boat - dropped a squid bait over the back and straight onto another goldie - next drop with a squid bait and line is peeling off the rod like mad - turns out a good sized shark was in there for a feed as well and after a relentless batlle where i would win half my braid back only to see it disappear again I cut the line and made my way to the mouth of the creek and gathered some bait.

Once i could get over the sand bar i dropped a livie out the back and proceeded to land a couple of small bazzas on a squidgie - nice run on the livey resulted in a sweet silver barra for the box - next livie returned a awesome jack and then a goldy came on board - things slowed somewhat and only got one more small barra on a livey which was returned. Pulled out and headed for the ramp just after dark and pulled out.

One boat that was just pulling out reported baggin out on good crabs so they are on the move. Road was a little more corrugtaed coming home but all in all a great afternoon on the water - new console with a higher windscreen was awesome to hide behind in the chop as well.

Cheers

Shane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
ryjan
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Hotham creeks again

Post by ryjan »

nice fish, was thinking of heading out that way today but decided to stay local, ended up with 5 nice muddies out of elizabeth...........the local haunt seems to produce for a quiet sunday.
well done :clap: :clap:
No crabs in your pots does not make you a victim of crime!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Nice haul there mate. Sounds like you have a real good spot. Always good when you can get a few different species of quality in the same spot fishing the same bait.

Got a question though... how do you rate those landing nets? I need to get one and have heard the environets are hard to push through
the water.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

good result Shane...top day out
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
DRAGONMASTER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DRAGONMASTER »

Environets are hard to push thru water and trebles just love getting hooked in them. The "jelly net" such as Shane pictured are great. My environet now sits in shed and I will only use the "jelly net".
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Lats
those nets are great but they are heavy - personally I dont scoop my fish ever I swim the fish into the net so it doesnt matter how heavy the net is - lots of fishing on y own lately and I just hang the net over the side, rest the handle under my amr and swim the fish in - too easy - the envirnets are hard to push through the water but thee nets are heavy too - I rate this one very highly and love it . Given I have lost some good fish to the old style netting landing nets including Jordans PB barra on the daly Ill never go back to them.

Cheers

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Nice work some good fish once again.

Not a fan of the environet at all. Definitely not designed for use in fast flowing rivers and runoffs. Just about pull you overboard even without a fish in them. Ill stick to the basic nets.
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve37 »

Nice fish!!!