Peron Island Billies

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Peron Island Billies

Post by Swoffa »

BC and I headed out to Channel Point late Thursday for great billie tides and a favourable weather forecast.......BOM got it wrong again :banghead:

We travelled out to the 35 meter mark west of Sail Highway with deep blue water and slight seas. Unfortunately there was no bait, no birds, no tuna and even worse....no billies. After a couple of hours trolling teasers we had donuts for our score. We came inshore and trolled teasers through sail highway where we raised a couple of sails but they were not coming up to the back of the boat where we could chuck a fly at them. We managed to get amongst a couple of tuna on fly for the evening session before heading into shelter behind South Peron for the night. :eating:

Friday morning saw a 20knot southerly hammering up the Peron Island channel and it wasn't looking too good for a days fly fishing for billies. We hammered our way back out to Sail Highway through a sloppy mess of a westerly swell with a southerly chop, white caps, still no birds and a wet arse. Trolling teasers.....trolling teasers......trolling teasers......nothing

About lunch time the weather settled enough to actually see the teasers through the wite water and we actually managed to raise two sails near sail highway. All the billies were being really tentative and wouldnt convert over from the teaser to the pitch bait. Managed to get one sail right up to the prop but wouldn't play the game with the bait or fly. Up to this point we were 5-0-0......not a great conversion rate and we didn't really have a proper shot at them on fly. With a half hour to go before calling stumps we decided to put away the fly gear and put a hook in front of the switch bait, a nice fresh 10 inch mullet rigged behind a 4/0 circle. It only took 5 minutes and the rod was slammed, let the line release for a count of 10 and throw the bail arm over. The line came up tight and up jumped a billie. 20 minutes later the fish was beside the boat, hook out, tag in, quick photo and on its way to play again another day. Not quite the same thrill as chasing them on fly but any day that you get to stick a tag in a billie is a great day! :D

A quiet beer to reflect on the days proceedings and we were on our way back home. :drinking8:
Peron Wide Sailfish.JPG
Thanks to Craig for the new hat...

The Channel Point road had recently been graded but we still had to slow to 60kmh through the rough spots. We came back through Berry Springs and the road was even better than the Channel Point road and it took just on 2hours 20minutes to get back home to Howard Springs. Best that I have ever seen the roads.

Cheers

Warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Peron Island Billies

Post by ken_dog »

Good stuff mate, at least it sounds like your teaser set-up is definetly on the money
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

cant believe you boys let it get to you and put a hook in a bait hahahaha nah top effort you boys have it sussed on raising
the fish thats for sure well done !!!
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Forgive me father, for I have sinned....

I trolled a bait...WITH A HOOK IN IT!!!!!

20 Hail Marys and no fishing for the next week as pennance.
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
Daisy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Daisy »

All good matey, when it comes to getting hooked up we are but mortals, Got a mate who's very avid flyfisher who got his first Permit the other day, with a speargun :roll: . he'd hooked and lost a few so when he went for a dive and spotted one he couldn't help himself, the "straight gaff fly pattern" :P as he called it nailed it just below the dorsal and put up a spirited fight, the fish was released a little worse for wear.

:cheers: , Daisy
Happiness is having fishy fingers with a stiff rod in your hand!!!
The view expressed in this post is that of a self opinionated bullshitter and does not reflect that of the website owner, it's operators or anyone else for that matter.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Top Stuff Swoffa,

thanks for sharing the post. I can not wait to get my new boat on the water and start chasing those long beaked beauties. Lots of learning to come and posts like yours are a big help.

Cheers,

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

a billie is a billie well done.

Is that a home made snooter or a commercial one. Do you find it works well. I have often wondered about getting one but I have not yet found anyone who uses one reguarly to get an opinion from.

Cheers

Pete
double haul

Post by double haul »

you forgot to had "and i liked it" swoffa. :twisted: