What happened to the Sailfish?

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
CCO625
Gold Member
Gold Member

What happened to the Sailfish?

Post by CCO625 »

Just wondering what happened to the run of Sailfish this Dry. Haven't read many reports of fish being raised and or caught. Did they show up out from Dundee this year following the low numbers reported for the sailfish comp? If not why.. possibly a change in ocean currents? maybe the big Wet could have something to do with it affecting the bait schools size and location? Or is it just a case of the consistent wind this Dry restricting days where it's possible to fish for them? Any one got any answers.

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What happened to the Sailfish?

Post by cuddlescooper »

I think last year had some unusual currents that brought large numbers of pelagics and other species further to the north then normal. This seems to happen every 5 years or so as far as I can remember.

Last year even on the bottom fishing front we caugth a lot of species that arent all that common this far north and close to the coast. On charters we picked up rankin cod as close as long lost and wahoo in the north gutter and at the lorna pinnacles. Sails and small blacks were every where.

I think that when this phenominon occurs there is usually a lot more whales around as well. Darwin goes back to its boring self now for a while but it will all return.